New Tokai Breezy Sound guitars - what are they like?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evamatze

Reaction score
Hi

Gottfried (togps) has got some new Tokai Springys and Breezys. Has anybody had the chance to actually play one of these? I?m particularly interested in the Breezy models.

After playing Strats for more than 25 years I decided to try a Tele. Gottfried sent me some really nice pics of those new Breezys but I don?t know if they are just as good as the old ones from the 80s.

So, all you Telecaster players, what would you do? New Breezy or old Breezy. Ash or Alder? Maple or Rosewood board? Or should I buy the "real deal", a Fender Tele?

By the way: I?m playing the Blues, not Country...

I?m sure you can lead me into the right direction :)

Thanks in advance

Matthias

Let's do the maths.

The current Vintage RI Crafted in Japan Strats and Tele's are some of the best Fenders around, and that includes made in the USA Fenders...and we all know who makes the CIJ Fenders.

So I guess these new Springy's and Breezy's must be high quality guitars, possibly as good as anything currently being made by Fender.

I'd say they're the real deal, even though I haven't played one of them.
I'd take Gottfried's word for it, if he says they're great guitars then they are.

Diamond said:
Let's do the maths.

The current Vintage RI Crafted in Japan Strats and Tele's are some of the best Fenders around, and that includes made in the USA Fenders...and we all know who makes the CIJ Fenders.

So I guess these new Springy's and Breezy's must be high quality guitars, possibly as good as anything currently being made by Fender.

I'd take Gottfried's word for it, if he says they're great guitars then they are.

I agree with these points of view - Tokai Japan don't make any bad guitars, sure there'll be the odd lemon, but that's it.

What is interesting is that the new Fender Japan guitars are "Made in Japan" not "Crafted in Japan" and Tokai are now making Fender type guitars of their own again... My suspicion is that Tokai are no longer building the Fender Japan guitars? Anybody know?

JVsearch said:
What is interesting is that the new Fender Japan guitars are "Made in Japan" not "Crafted in Japan" and Tokai are now making Fender type guitars of their own again... My suspicion is that Tokai are no longer building the Fender Japan guitars? Anybody know?

Just what I was wondering.

To answer the original point, it really depends if you prefer older guitars or new guitars. I prefer them older, so I would rather have an 80s Breezy, but that doesn't mean that the new ones aren't just as good - we just don't know yet. What you really need to do is to buy an old one & a new one & tell us which is better.

8)

Mike

how much are they?

and i thought the model numbers were in the 70s, in gottfried's post they're te100 etc.

How many pieces are the ash-bodied ones? the alder ones say 2-piece, and judging by gottfried's nice pics it's centre-jointed (which is great).

Lots of questions, sorry :lol:

:)

Diamond said:
Let's do the maths.

Thanks for all your replies.

I have just ordered the ash-bodied, butterscotch finished Breezy from Gottfried. Looking forward to receiving my first Tele.

Then I?ll have a 2008 LS160S, a 1981 ST80 Springy, a 1981 ST60 Springy and a 2009 TE100 Breezy. I love Tokai ;-)

Thanks for your help

Matthias

Matthias

Look forward to your review, considering you've got the real guitars to compare to.

Diamond

that will be the problem: This will be my first Tele ever, so I won?t be able to compare it to an old Tele :-( The only thing I could do is to go to Zurich and compare it to the guitars at GitarrenTotal: http://www.gitarrentotal.ch/taxonomy_menu/3/2/7/28/51

Maybe I?ll do that when I get the Breezy from Gottfried. Haven?t paid yet though...

Cheers

Matthias

Hi there

I have had my new Tokai Breezy for about a week now, and I must say that it definitely is a keeper. I received her last Friday evening, put new .010 gauge strings on her (she came with .009 gauge strings) and played her on Saturday at a gig with my old Blues band. In combination with a Fender Deluxe Reverb on 7 it really kicked *** . I had so much fun playing that Breezy.

You can see some pics here (you have to skip the first 21 pics of the slide show, we were the second band out of 13 bands :eek:):

http://www.rockinitiative-bcev.de/ribolaus2009/RIB2009.html

I hadn?t played a Telecaster style guitar before in my whole life, now I don?t want to play my 1981 ST80 Springy and my 2008 LS160S Love Rock anymore ;-)... Telecaster Twang forever :evil:

I really like the new Breezy but can?t compare it to an older one or an original 50s Fender Tele. I think everybody should try one of these. They are really fun guitars...

The good thing about new guitars is that - well - everything is new. You don?t have fret issues or problems with old pots and jacks... the new Breezy is new, works perfectly and has got a great sound, IMHO (of course, and YMMV). So, get one and try one yourself...

Cheers

Matthias 8)

Back