Nitro scratch removal

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratfan

Reaction score
OK, here's my problem:

There are quite a few VERY MINOR scratches / scuff marks on the back of my brand new LS150. Rich has kindly given me some cash to buy a polish or scratch remover, so does anyone out there have a good idea of what will work best to get them out?

I have heard of a website called "www.guitarscratchremover.com" has anyone used this product on nitro finished Tokais before, with what levels of success?

What about the Gibson luthier's Choice polish?

Please bear in mind that this a brand new guitar.

John.

Just play it. Some of the scratches will get buffed out from the rubbing against your clothes, & some new ones will appear too. They all give a guitar character.

Mike

I think that they will most likely polish out without the expense of a pro, but I want to use a product that will not harm the nitro, and not make the finish any worse.

What have other forum members used with success?

stratfan said:
I think that they will most likely polish out without the expense of a pro, but I want to use a product that will not harm the nitro, and not make the finish any worse.

What have other forum members used with success?

Honestly, for me, that's fighting a losing battle. I play my guitars standing up - even when I take my belt off or slide the buckle far left, it's still going to get scratched - particularly if there are metal rivets in the pockets of your jeans. After a four hour gig, there's wear - no getting around it. All of my guitars show some player wear on the back.

But if you bought it with the intent of selling it someday in near mint condition, then I see your concern. Otherwise, I'd not worry about it. Wait til you put your first chip and/or ding in it..... that'll make the scratches seem tiny in comparison.

Thanks Marcus.

I didn't buy it with the intent of selling it later, it's just that it's new...

Point taken.

I shouldn't baby it.

John

stratfan said:
I shouldn't baby it.

Perhaps not baby it, but treat it with respect. I treat mine a lot like my car; each is an instrument, a tool, with a purpose. I park the car in my garage; I wash it; I wipe down the seats, clean the upholstery, vacuum the floor mats when they are soiled. But, if it gets dirty, I don't obsess. For my guitar(s), I wipe down the neck, wipe off the top, put it back in the case, put the case away.

They're used; but, they're cared for.
(Sorry for ending a sentence with a preposition..)

btw: +1 on the Meguiar's. The scratch remover/buffer; and, I use the wax on the guitars, especially the neck(s).

Mick51 said:
stratfan said:
I shouldn't baby it.

Perhaps not baby it, but treat it with respect. I treat mine a lot like my car; each is an instrument, a tool, with a purpose. I park the car in my garage; I wash it; I wipe down the seats, clean the upholstery, vacuum the floor mats when they are soiled. But, if it gets dirty, I don't obsess. For my guitar(s), I wipe down the neck, wipe off the top, put it back in the case, put the case away.

They're used; but, they're cared for.
(Sorry for ending a sentence with a preposition..)

btw: +1 on the Meguiar's. The scratch remover/buffer; and, I use the wax on the guitars, especially the neck(s).

Spot on Mick. I wasn't implying to abuse them.... they always feel and play better when they're looked after.... but they're going to get bumped, bruised and scratched. But it's kinda hard not to baby a new arrival for awhile. :wink:

marcusnieman said:
But it's kinda hard not to baby a new arrival for awhile. :wink:

Very true! The new guitar vibe lasts at least a month surely? You know, the time where you're more worried about denting it than anything else. :)

OK so we all agree?

The newness of anything somewhat dictates the level of stress associated with it getting damaged.

I bought a new car a few years ago, and I wouldn't park it within a hundred yards of the Costco entry doorway. Once the car got a few stone chips on the bonnet (hood) and a ding on the door, I stopped worrying about it.

It is always interesting to get the perspective of other enthusiasts, and use them as a barometer to my own thoughts...

John.

My wife pointed something out to me...... I paid a small fortune for my Fender Custom Shop relic 65 Strat ....... and then paid more for it to send it to Bill Nash ( www.nashguitars.com ) to beat it up some more to make it look more period correct.

I have a MIJ Fender E series hardtail strat - think I paid $400 for it new back in the 80's. Once I was out of town shortly after buying it, she accidentally knocked a vase off of a shelf and it bounced off of the top horn of the guitar in the stand. I went absolutely apeshit over that ding.....

Latest posts

Back