Aging Love Rock hardware?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Novosel

Reaction score
I would like to try to age the pickup covers and tailpiece on my '80's Love Rock to reduce some of the shine. What are they plated with? Has anyone done this with any success? Any info would be appreciated.

Hi.
I think it should be nickel,My Fernandes LP is. but perhaps if it looks brash and shiny, it could be chrome. Either way I'd be tempted to leave well alone and let your playing, & time do the job.I've seen home ageing jobs on guitars, using wire wool etc and it looks so artificial and tacky.It'll devalue your guitar as well.

Cheers Simon.

Hi Novosel,
To tell what your hardware is coated with will depend on the reflection - a bluish hue is chrome, a yellowish hue is nickel.
Chrome doesn't age well, it only corrodes. Nickel will age beautifully over time as a reation to your sweat, atmosphere, etc.
I agree with goddardo - DON'T try to force the issue yourself as you will only ruin your guitar. Play it heaps and it will age quicker.

regards
Peter

Do you sweat a lot? If like me you don't, then you're gonna have to lend your guitar to a mate who sweats like a pig. About a year should do it. This will tarnish your plank perfectly and look very authentic.

When you get it back, take the guitar with you every time you go to a pub or a bar, open the case and just let the smell of fags and beer attach itself to the guitar. It's the only way to make it smell right. This should take about 6 months (oh and make sure you don't shut the case cause this needs to smell bad too).

Of course this all depends on how far you want to go.

Have fun!

Latest posts

Back