Neck size of an LS160

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwp999

Reaction score
Hello - I recently purchased my first Tokai - a 1989 Love Rock which plays unbelievably smooth and sounds great. I have a chance to get a fairly new LS160 however, I won't be able to play it prior to ordering it.

Can anyone give me an idea how the neck dimensions of the LS160 compare to my current Love Rock, which is absolutely perfect for my hands.

Thanks, Gerry

The neck as measured on my 2009 LS160 Goldtop is:

.855 @ 1st fret
.930 @ 12th fret

Replying to this so that the info is on record somewhere in this forum and can be searched.

I didn't know there was a model called the LS160?

Is that what some of us refer to as a LS150?

Diamond said:
I didn't know there was a model called the LS160?

Is that what some of us refer to as a LS150?

The LS160S is a 56 goldtop with P90's:

http://www.tokaiguitar.de/produktdetail.php?id=43

The LS150 is similar to the Gibson R8 (58 Les Paul):

http://www.tokaiguitar.de/produktdetail.php?id=42

Ahaa, there was no "S" behind the LS160, which I guess was previously known as the LS145S, in my catalog #23. :)

And of course the LS150 is still an LS135 in Catalog #23.

I'm learning. ;)

fuzzalowBill said:

.855 @ 1st fret
.930 @ 12th fret

Replying to this so that the info is on record somewhere in this forum and can be searched.

Thanks fuzz...turns out I purchased a brand spanking new MIJ LS150 instead - what a beauty!

gwp999 said:
fuzzalowBill said:

.855 @ 1st fret
.930 @ 12th fret

Thanks fuzz...turns out I purchased a brand spanking new MIJ LS150 instead - what a beauty!

Any pics of it? Where did you buy it?

marcusnieman said:
gwp999 said:
fuzzalowBill said:

.855 @ 1st fret
.930 @ 12th fret

I bought it from a Japanese retailer who also sells on ebay - yasoohmusic1109 is his ebay name and he currently has one up for sale there . He is a very nice person to deal with. Mine is the Violin Finish - pictures don't do it justice as they all appear to be closer to Cherry Burst.

There was an import duty added (which I knew about ahead of time)...I think it was an additional $70.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOKAI-LS150-MIJ...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|293:1|294:50

That is one beautiful guitar, my favorite colour and favorite model in the Tokai range.

All the best, do a full review for us when you have the time. :)

gwp999 said:
marcusnieman said:
gwp999 said:
fuzzalowBill said:

.855 @ 1st fret
.930 @ 12th fret

I bought it from a Japanese retailer who also sells on ebay - yasoohmusic1109 is his ebay name and he currently has one up for sale there . He is a very nice person to deal with. Mine is the Violin Finish - pictures don't do it justice as they all appear to be closer to Cherry Burst.

There was an import duty added (which I knew about ahead of time)...I think it was an additional $70.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOKAI-LS150-MIJ...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|293:1|294:50

Yeah, saw that one - decided against the tobacco finish. I just put one on order from Kurosawagakki in Japan (Tokai Joe hooked me up with them). It's going to have to be built to spec.

I asked for the lightest possible body and a VF finish closer to a lemonburst - like you said, the VF pics I've seen are way too red/orange for my liking.

I'm going to have to wait about 6 weeks while it's being made.

Ooooohhhhh that sounds beautiful Marcus - you'll have to post pics once she arrives!

Congrats. :D

RyanC said:
Ooooohhhhh that sounds beautiful Marcus - you'll have to post pics once she arrives!

Thanks man..... will do. Gonna have to sell some lumber to finance it. Anyone looking for anything in particular?

marcusnieman said:
RyanC said:

Thanks man..... will do. Gonna have to sell some lumber to finance it. Anyone looking for anything in particular?
You don't happen to have a lefty Mosrite clone in that arsenal of yours do you?

marcusnieman said:
RyanC said:

Sounds great! Definitely let us know what weight it comes in at - interested to know what you get for speccing "lightest possible".

marcusnieman said:

Any Strats going?

JuniorEnthousiast said:
marcusnieman said:
RyanC said:

You don't happen to have a lefty Mosrite clone in that arsenal of yours do you?

No but I have these righties (matching guitars and 3/4 scale basses - one set with P90's, the other with humbuckers):

CIMG0707.jpg

Sounds great! Definitely let us know what weight it comes in at - interested to know what you get for speccing "lightest possible".

Me too!

Any Strats going?

Hmm.... good question. Here's what I have off of the top of my head. What are you looking for?

1965 Fender Strat (not for sale)

Custom shop Fender 65 Strat (not for sale)

ST60 Springy sunburst / maple

Suspected ST80 Springy sunburst with different C profile factory neck / rosewood

MIJ Fender Strat - E series serial number (87 I think) - sunburst hardtail

Edwards Super Real series Clapton Blackie relic

Jimmie Vaughan sunburst strat

Silverstar SS38 black on black / rosewood / new medium jumbo frets

Squire Classic Vibe Strat - 50's model

Now those are impressive - I have only seen one of these up close (ocean blue) and it was impressive to look at but didn't stike me as a player...(but that was many years ago!)...and you have 4 of them!...I am curious, how DO these play?

gwp999 said:

Congrats, that's a fantastic looking Love Rock. Is the neck size similar to the specs I posted? Seems Tokai keeps the neck size closer to real vintage burst specs rather than the oversized (i.e. .920 and up) necks Gibby likes to put on Historics.

I bought my Goldtop from YashooMusic also. Yasuo was very helpful and I managed to get it to NY without getting dinged for customs.

gwp999 said:
Now those are impressive - I have only seen one of these up close (ocean blue) and it was impressive to look at but didn't stike me as a player...(but that was many years ago!)...and you have 4 of them!...I am curious, how DO these play?

They play great.....

GUITARS:

1 piece bodies that are thinner than an SG (they're just under an inch thick). Big WIDE but flat neck. The humbucker model really has a great snarly sound but the P90 version is what it's all about. Univox used some of the best sounding P90's I've ever played.

BASSES:

Thin bodies but thicker than the guitars - but still, half the thickness of a strat. These are 3/4 scale which makes them very comfortable to play for a guitar player. Necks are not quite as wide as the guitar and not as flat in profile. The humbucker bass is a real rocker and the P90 is much warmer - good jazz bass.

If you look on eBay, there are always a bunch of Univox's for sale and they are still a good bargain but the prices are going up. I think I paid $200 - $250 for each of mine but they're up around $400 now.

Here's a bass on auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Univox-Mosrite-Electric-Bass-High-Flyer-Guitar_W0QQitemZ170351220716QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item27a9b957ec&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

The Mosrite model is called the Hi Flier and has cult popularity because Cobain played one. Here's the Univox site.... lots of good info on the brand (made by Matsumoku), their amps and effects.

www.univox.org

Univox also made the Univibe pedal favored by Jimi Hendrix - those now command alot of money if you can find them.

Latest posts

Back