New forum user and Tokai owner

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moroccan.roll

Reaction score
Hi everybody -

Just picked this up yesterday and I'm very pleased. Saw it on SF craigslist and had to have it. It is the most resonant strat I've ever had. The pickups are just okay. I'm going to put a Duncan SSL-2 in the neck and an SSL-6 in the bridge, and keep the stock middle. I'm also toying with idea of putting in an old non-fine-tuner floyd I have lying around (without the locking nut). Picked up some parchment plastic for it on the way home and voila -

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

Look forward to spending a lot of time around here.

-Drew

Very nice. I really like those large 70s headstocks.

PS I hope the moroccan roll is a carpet and not rolled moroccan :lol:

Dave

Hi. I think there is something speacial about these 84-84 scroll logo customs in black. Simply, I have found the necks on these guitars, which were really lower end models, to be absolutely fantastic in grain, tone and shape and also found the bodies to be very resonant. Basically a silver star with different logo at the time Tokai were no longer building silverstars.

I believe the necks they used were from the remaining stock of 70's style necks and these necks could easily have found themselves on higher end models. I think the builders of these were on form for this period and produce some fantastic guitars for the home market, these I believe are the best value strat about.

I know there are a few other owners of these who feel the same, compared to a ?1000+ springy, these guitars are unreal.

I hope you enjoy your time with it. Despite owning a sizable collection now I won't be moving mine on.

You may find the pups let the guitar down, I don't but I seem to deaf when it comes to the improvement these designer pups bring.

WELCOME TO THE 84-85 SCROLL LOGO CUSTOM EDITION CLUB

moroccan.roll said:
It is the most resonant strat I've ever had. The pickups are just okay. I'm going to put a Duncan SSL-2 in the neck and an SSL-6 in the bridge, and keep the stock middle. I'm also toying with idea of putting in an old non-fine-tuner floyd I have lying around (without the locking nut).

NO!!! Don't do that - far too many decent Strats were butchered in the 80s by having large chunks of wood gouged out of them to fit those awful ugly, tone-sucking Floyd Rose monstrosities. And many people who carried out this barbarism now regret doing it.

You say it's resonant? Do you really think it still will be if you butcher it?

:eek:

If you need a guitar with a FR, PLEASE go and buy one that already has one, don't ruin a guitar that was never supposed to have one.

Mike

NO!!! Don't do that - far too many decent Strats were butchered in the 80s by having large chunks of wood gouged out of them to fit those awful ugly, tone-sucking Floyd Rose monstrosities. And many people who carried out this barbarism now regret doing it.

If you need a guitar with a FR, PLEASE go and buy one that already has one, don't ruin a guitar that was never supposed to have one.

Mike[/quote]Pot,kettle,black,Mike.?

Gabe, you know I would never put a FR on a guitar.

Just remind me, which one of us owns a FR fitted guitar?

:eek: :wink:

Mike

I woke up this morning with the same attitude. I am going to leave it as is. However, I was never planning on routing the wood if I were to put it on. I was going to go non-recessed. But that thought's out of my head. In fact, today I went to the other extreme and blocked the trem.

Putting in the duncans this week. I think this one would also benefit from a nice stainless steel trem block.

stratman323 said:
Gabe, you know I would never put a FR on a guitar.

Just remind me, which one of us owns a FR fitted guitar?

:eek: :wink:
MeMeMeMeMe!and what a beautifull custom edition she is.

Mike?...with a Floyd?:eek:
That'd be like BB in spandex...Johnny Winter with a tan.....Billy Gibbons buying shaving cream..!!!!!

moroccan.roll said:
But that thought's out of my head. In fact, today I went to the other extreme and blocked the trem.

Putting in the duncans this week. I think this one would also benefit from a nice stainless steel trem block.

Great news. Duncans are usually a decent upgrade for most Tokai Strats, IMHO. Isn't the trem block steel already? I thought Tokai were using steel by about 1981? And that guitar will be post 1983?

Ozeshin said:
Mike?...with a Floyd?:eek:
That'd be like BB in spandex...Johnny Winter with a tan.....Billy Gibbons buying shaving cream..!!!!!

Very good! :lol: Now see if you can think of one for Jimmie Vaughan.

:wink:

Or Stevie, if you can't manage Jimmie.

Latest posts

Back