Value of Springy Sound?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucec

Reaction score
I have a Springy Sound serial number 1022029. Spaghetti logo, "this is an exact replica of the good old strat" and "oldies but goldies" on the headstock. Made in Japan. Anyone any idea of value?

hi brucec
please re-check the serial number for this guitar. I think the original S/N has been replaced if the one you mentioned is correct.
To determine a value, we would have to determine which model "springy" it is, ST-50, ST-60, etc.
Are there letters on the bottom of the pickups?
Is there a black oval sticker with a white number on it?
Does it have a rosewood or maple f'board?
What colour is it?

regards Peter

Peter

I'm afraid I'm not very practical when it comes to taking guitars apart and putting them back together etc.

The number I assumed to be the "serial number" is a number on a four-screw metal plate on the back of the guitar. Sounds as if I'm wrong on that.

From memory the guitar is an ST50 and this is borne out by an oval sticker with the number "50" on it. It has a rosewood finger board and is a fairly standard Fenderish brown sunburst.

I don't know how to check whether there are numbers under the pick-ups.

I've owned the guitar since new. I gather it was one of a small consignment that slipped into the UK just after the lawsuit preventing the importation of guitars with the old headstock.

Best regards,

Bruce

Bruce,

If its got a 50 sticker on it then you don't need to bother chjecking the pickups, as its an ST-50, which means it originally sold for 50,000 yen.
Take a look on eBay to get an idea about price, but in the end I guess its worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
In the UK I haven't seen too many Springys up for sale recently. Goldstar sounds (what the Springy became around 84) tend to go for between 250 and 400 GBP depending on condition, so its going to be worth more than that here.

Peter, whats up with the serial number? Must be original if Bruce has had it from new. Theres an 81 ST-70 here that has a similar number:

http://brickvox.virtualave.net/mygtr/index2.html

James

If what I think is correct then the ST spagetti logo guitar at the top of the post would be a 1981 model.

Ned

James I've checked out the picture you linked to and that could be my guitar - identical as far as I can see.

When I bought it I was a blues/rock player with a Les Paul. I was asked to join a 60's soul band and needed to get that Steve Cropper sound so I bought the Tokai. I took it to a luthier (and Strat fanatic) before buying and we compared it with some vintage Strats. It compared favourably.

I sold the LP which left the Tokai but I all but gave up playing around '86. I came back to live music around 5 years ago when I took up bass. I mainly play jazz or funk now and bass is definitely my main instrument. The Tokai has been plugged into an amp once in fifteen years. Shame to waste it if there's anything special about it - I'd always like a guitar lying around but it doesn't have to be anything special.

Cheers,

Bruce,

The one in the pictures is an ST-70, which probably means it just had different pickups to yours.

Springy sounds are very collectable now so if you're not bothered about keeping it then its worth selling it. I'm sure if you advertised it here on the Classified section you'd get plenty of interest. If you're not sure on price just ask for offers.

By the way, I'm not trying to convince you to sell it because I'm interested! I have a Goldstar sound that I'm happy with. Just as you say - its a shame for such a great guitar to spend all of its time in its case.

Good luck!

James

Hi guys,
The strange thing about the serial# is ...it has too many numbers (7) It should have L+5.
ST-50's were 1958 or 1964 replicas (depending on fingerboard) - both of which did not have a 7 digit number.
Ned, check Page 31 "the scoop" of the 1982 catalog I sent you. All the plates and serial numbers are discussed and there is no 7 digit neck plate.
Regardless of the number, it is still a great sounding guitar and you should get a good price for it.

Peter

Thanks for the input guys. To be honest if it's worth around ?400 or less I'll probably just hold on to it (the cash generated by selling it and buying a cheaper-but-still-ok guitar probably wouldn'g justify the hassle). If it was worth significantly more (eg could could make a decent dent in the price of a Lakland 5........) I'd feel differently.

Thanks again.

Bruce

Hi

I also have a Springy Sound with the same spec. and it has also 7 digit seriel nr.
(1016255) The guitar looks just as a 50' strat. And the hardware is in gold and the colour of the guitar is gold. It has an maple neck/fretboard. How ols is it? I bought it yesterday, and i do not have any picture of it yet.

Probably a 1981. Check the guitars page on the main site for more information.

Ned

Latest posts

Back