Page 1 of 1

WOOO HOOO! Luv my love rock

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:34 am
by pimphat
This arrived at my house yesterday. '03 LS-85Q Oak. It's like new with plastic still on the pickups and on the cavity covers as well. It's a dream to play. I had seen these around for a while and i had to have this color! Really impressed overall.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:09 am
by hawkeye2u
Congrats
I want one of those!! BADLY
Love the top and the colour

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:24 am
by pimphat
Thanks! I have not had time to really sit down with her yet but so far i am really impressed with the quality. I have owned several Gibsons over the years as well as a couple of nice Greco Lp's. This is easily up there at the top. Neck is perfect for me. It's right between 50's rounded and a 60's slim taper. Frets are finished nicely. It's got 9's on it right now but i'll spend some time today giving her a set up with some 10's. It sure is nice to look at though.

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:34 am
by mattim
pimphat wrote:Thanks! I have not had time to really sit down with her yet but so far i am really impressed with the quality. I have owned several Gibsons over the years as well as a couple of nice Greco Lp's. This is easily up there at the top. Neck is perfect for me. It's right between 50's rounded and a 60's slim taper. Frets are finished nicely. It's got 9's on it right now but i'll spend some time today giving her a set up with some 10's. It sure is nice to look at though.
Good choice I have exactly same model. The necks in these puppies are much meatier at the first frets than those lately labeled by "G" as round 50's neck. They are about the same at 12th fret.

Matti

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:34 pm
by Kenmac
:o Absolutely stunning looking guitar pimphat. Congratulations.

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:57 pm
by rockinbluesfan
Pass the tums, everyone's getting GAS! Nice axe!

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:18 pm
by Ozeshin
They do look lovely..but I played one a little while back and found the poly finish unbelievably thick...so much so that I had to stop playing it.
The poly on the neck would grab and slow you down and the same for the poly on the upper bout.
Maybe it was a one off blunder ...how do you find yours?

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:31 pm
by pimphat
Ozeshin wrote:They do look lovely..but I played one a little while back and found the poly finish unbelievably thick...so much so that I had to stop playing it.
The poly on the neck would grab and slow you down and the same for the poly on the upper bout.
Maybe it was a one off blunder ...how do you find yours?
I really dont have a problem with it so far. But i understand what you mean. I've had a couple of gits that had a really "grabby" neck. This one seems to be quite playable for me. HOWEVER...I am having a heck of a time trying to get the intonation set with the stock bridge. I had the saddle on the D string completely maxed out and still could not get it corrected. I decide to put a roller bridge i had sitting around on her and bingo! It works great. There is alot more play available with this type of system so i gave it a try. I really dont want to use the roller bridge though so i guess i'm going to need a replacement bridge. Any ideas?? Here's a couple more pics with the roller on it. I put the switch ring back on too as i think it just looks better.

Image

Image

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:57 am
by mattim
pimphat wrote:I am having a heck of a time trying to get the intonation set with the stock bridge. I had the saddle on the D string completely maxed out and still could not get it corrected. I decide to put a roller bridge i had sitting around on her and bingo! It works great. There is alot more play available with this type of system so i gave it a try. I really dont want to use the roller bridge though so i guess i'm going to need a replacement bridge. Any ideas??
What kind of strings are you using ? How high is your action in 12th fret ? With .26-.28 D-string I have the intonation adjustment is in the middle of the range in all of my Tokai's and Gibsons.

Matti

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:12 am
by pimphat
Everything seems good as far as the action and neck adjustments. I have a local guitar tech in town i'm gonna bring it to today to get his input.

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:35 am
by iceberry
wowowowowow!!!

how much you pay for it?? it's damn cool~

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:11 am
by pimphat
Okay, took it to my local guitar guy and he's got her playing great! The roller bridge worked nice but i wanted the original bridge on there so he worked it out. He also reworked the nut a bit and it now plays better than i could have imagined. As far as price.....i paid a little too much i think. $1200 with hardcase and shipped here in the states. I really wanted this color though so i dont care....it's a winner.

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:41 pm
by Goestoeleven
Even at 1200 green ones that is an absolute beauty.

You're a lucky man! :D

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:53 am
by fuzzalowBill
I just recently bought a new Love Rock in a quilt top, I'll post picture when it arrives.

Like you pimphat, I also paid about the same amount of money. Don't think it is an unreasonable amount when the hit rate on scoring a good <$1K Gibson brand new is not a favorable bet. TBD how the Tokai purchase turns out - I'll know in a week.

My first post here, cheers to all.