Tokai ALS43

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warxy

Reaction score
hi i am a beginner at guitar and i am looking to buy a Tokai ALS43 because i heard that tokai is better than epiphone(im after the les paul), below is the link to the place and the guitar i will be buying:
http://www.conceptmusic.com.au/showProduct/Electric+Guitars/Electric+Guitars/7466+goldtop
well i seem to be unable to find much information on this guitar, so i would like to know if anyone got this guitar and are able to give me some information about this guitar.
regard
Ben

Hey m8,,
The Chinese made Tokai that i've tried(in my opinion) are more or less on par with the Chinese made Epiphones that I've tried.
The Tokai won't come with a case just to warn you...but then neither do the Chinese Epis.
A better guitar then most to start learning on.

Hello and welcome, If you can afford it, take it to a reputable guitar shop and get a good set up done and i see no reason why it wouldn't be perfect for you to learn on. They are very good value guitars and just need a little tweaking to make them even better...

Mick

Ozeshin said:
Hey m8,,
The Chinese made Tokai that i've tried(in my opinion) are more or less on par with the Chinese made Epiphones that I've tried.
A better guitar then most to start learning on.
sorry i dont understand the word "par"
and you said its better guitar than most, what guitars in that most are you talking about? because right now i am trying to make a decision between this Tokai ALS43 GoldTop with a Epiphone Les Paul Standard (or maybe a studio).
regard
Ben

leadguitar_323 said:
Hello and welcome, If you can afford it, take it to a reputable guitar shop and get a good set up done and i see no reason why it wouldn't be perfect for you to learn on. They are very good value guitars and just need a little tweaking to make them even better...
Mick
thanks for the reply, do you know how much does it usausly cost to do a set up and the time it takes? and compare this with a epiphone LP standard or maybe a studio, which one would be a better choice?
regard
Ben

Nope..Stick with the Tokai.
"Par" means equal to...build-wise they use similar materials...they sound similar...but when you play them side by side the Tokai "feels" better than the Epi.

Cost varies from dealer to dealer but roughly around the $100 mark for a complete setup including a new set of strings.

Ozeshin said:
Cost varies from dealer to dealer but roughly around the $100 mark for a complete setup including a new set of strings.
wow, thats quite alot to me
how long it will approx take to do a full setup?

Hi Ben,

The guitar has been setup, before being shipped to the shop.

The guitars have been coming to Oz with 9~42 strings, which were fitted at the factory, and are only roughly setup.

We replace the strings with the accepted standard 10~46 gauge strings.

The truss rod in the neck is adjusted to give a dead straight neck, with the different string tension of the heavier strings, the string height is set at 4~5/64ths on the low E string, and 3/64ths on the high E string.

Every note, on each string is played with this setup. Most will play absolutely buzz free. Some may need some further tweaking to play cleanly. A maximim of 0.005" neck relief is how we send these guitars out, some will play cleanly with zero .

The string height is set at the nut with a clearance of around 0.012" under the low E string, gradually reducing to around 0.005" on the high E string.

The pickups are set so that the clearance under the polepieces are 4/64ths on the treble pickup, and 5/64ths on the rhythm pickup.

The intonation is set, by adjusting the saddles on the tune-O-matic bridge, so that that guitar plays as in tune with itself up and down the fretboard, as well as any fretted instrument can.

So what Mick is suggesting is already done.

I am sure that Graham, or any of the boys can give the guitar a final checkover and carry out any minor tweaks that are usually related to the different weather conditions, mainly humidity, in Perth compared to Sydney, where the initial setup was done.

There are much more experienced techs out there, I have only setup a few hundred Tokais. Some techs may even be better, but it is not rocket science.

The important thing is that it feels easy and comfortable to play. If you notice anything is not to your liking, I am sure the boys can sort it for you easily and quickly.

Off the shelf, a very good guitar, especially for the price.

They should be able to help you with a case, at a good price.

so all Tokai is factory roughly setuped and then when they got to here (australia) its been re setup-ed by the professionals before they are being transfer to the shops all over Australia? so pretty much every box of Tokai is the finest?
so who are these professionals? why are they doing this or is this a general knowledge that once all guitars are shipped to a country they are being checked and and resetuped by these kind of people, or is this only happens to Tokai?
also how are you that sure of the guys in Concept music will do a final check?
thanks for the info anyway, thats very nice to know
P.S.sorry for bad grammar
regard
Ben

In a choice between Tokai & Epiphone, I would go for the Tokai every time.

Mike

Ben,

I cannot speak for any of the other brands.

Every Tokai is checked, and setup to the specs that I have outlined above, before it goes to a shop.

The setup is basically a "standard" setting that is supposed to applied to the guitars at the factory. By the time a new guitar is shipped to the other side of the world, some settling in usually happens.

The Japanese Tokais come with the correct "standard" 10~46 strings, and require the same checks and adjustments, if necessary. Some guitars need more than others. They are wood, and different pieces can react slightly differently to each other.

The Traditional range guitars are shipped with 9~42. This gauge of string is standard on guitars with a longer scale length, usually F*nder. An inconvenience, but new strings are fitted, and the guitar is re-adjusted, with a "standard" setup accordingly.

Your feeling with a guitar is a personal thing. As you play and gain experience, your personal preferences will develop with your own individual style. Then, what is a good setup for you may be completely different to the next person. String gauge, string height, neck relief etc are all variables that can give a different feel to the same guitar.

All the guitars sold through the Tokai Guitars Australia network are setup by me, before they are shipped.

Perth is a little less humid than Sydney, so all that may need adjusting would be a very slight adjustment to the truss rod to compensate. Certainly no more than any other guitar they have in store.

Enjoy the journey.

Ozeshin said:

Ha,

I just realized that I could be making up to $300 an hour, if all goes well and there are no major dramas. ..like that ever happens :roll:

Reminds me of the old "potential and reality" joke :D

My first guitar, around 1980, was a secondhand Avon Les Paul copy. I hated it! It was impossible to get a decent low action, the arched top was steamed plywood, & it was generally a heap of crap!

I'm confident that most Tokais (and probably even Epiphones) sold by most decent guitar shops will be infinitely better than the thing I had to learn on. Even cheap guitars are good these days, & Tokais are reasonably priced, not cheap. A decent shop should do a basic set up for you, & as you progress with learning, you will find out what sort of strings and set up suit you. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Sorry guys, i hope my last post didn't sound sarcastic, what i meant was setups aren't cheap so if it is getting one before you buy it it has to be better value... :)

Mick

thanks guys.
its nice to know that all the Australia Tokai is being setuped by you, stratmoto.':)'
i will be get that ALS43 then, if it feels right on my hands. and i will try let those sales guys do me a good check.
just another question, when you try to find out which guitar feels the best on your hands, how do you test it? do you put on a strap and then hold it and see every thing say for example the neck feels right or what do you do. because since i am beginner i cant actually play it, im pretty sure i just have to see if it suits my feeling right? or how do you even say it?:oops:
regard
Ben

Back