Date these Tokai's

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tojoe

Reaction score
2 Love Rock's S/B #2012097 & BK #8934313, both rosewood, also a Candy Red Goldstar #2824, maple neck 50's strat w/gold pickguard and a Flying V #4022320, 58 style, missing the headstock decal any tips on getting one. Not sure about model #numbers, I always read here about ST#'s and such, no idea, none of mine have them, is this because they are 70's or 80's. Great to see the site is still up, good job Ned..any idea on dates..etc..Thanks

The black Love Rocks may be an 89. I've seen evidence that serial number dating using the first 2 digits of the Japanese Love Rocks may have started in 90 but your model may bring that back to 1989. Can't tell anything about the others.

Thanks Ned, funny how still today with all this "IT" we can't identify what we've purchased, Has anyone from Tokai..Japan/ or Can Distributor ever appear on these boards. Beats me, Iv'e tried emailing Tokai about a replacement Decal..no reply...CS is out of the question, I spoke to the original Can Dist about 3yrs ago, I encouraged him to go for it...but there's more to selling than just dumping product in the market..it's not the 70's....sorry for venting

There are several www adresses,but they are japanese lenguage only.Japanese pluckers could help us maybe.

Hi tojoe
It is hard to date the guitars without photos, as the various changes in style over the years is the most accurate way.
The strat would be a TST-60, a 1954 replica costing 60,000yen or the AST-56 - depending on the headstock shape, but the Goldstar was made after 1983. The serial number on the neckplate is an indication of model only.
The "V" could be a TFV or AFV depending on headstock shape - AFV's have a large notch on the top.
The S/B LR could be mid-80s, but the model would depend on the maple top, pickups, etc.
regards
Peter

Hi Peter, it's good to hear from ya. I think you Aussies have got the jump on us north americans..(I'm canadian) If I'm not mistaken INXS have always endorsed these gits. You might be right on the Goldstar being a 54, it doesen't have the overpronounced V-neck, just a dab, it has the 50's fender headstock with an aldonized pickguard, pu's simular to fender but the pole pieces are a little rounder (edge and longer). The SB LR is probably the lightest LP Iv'e played and small 1960 like neck, SB cherry plaintop, as for pu's it had Zebra ones that were hot. The BK, a little heavier, larger neck, has bk pu's with gold bottom casings..?? kind of odd. The V..has the same pu's as the SB LR, but I have combined some the above with SD pu's, what do you mean by bump, the headstock seems streamline to the Gibson. I have 3 of the 4 on a J file, I'll try and post them. Thanks for your interest..what have you got back home in the outback...

Hi tojoe,
i worked for the Tokai importer in the 1980s so I have a little bit more info.
Tim Farriss of INXS has been an endorser of Tokai since 1983.
The Goldstar sounds like a TST60 due to the neck shape and 4 digit code but on the bottom of the pickups is a lettering system (V,U,VI,etc) which also helps to find the model. Anondized pickguards were very rare so it may be a replacement.
The SB LR is probably TLS60 due to the plain top and zebra p'ups.
Is the black one a Standard or Custom replica? Gold usually indicates Custom.
The V sounds like a TFV-70 (70,000yen)with mahogany body and neck.The headstock changes are obvious when you compare catalogs [ 1985 SRV p7 vs 1980 Oz p10 ]
Any pics you have will certainly help get a better idea of these guitars.
As for me, I have a 1982 TST80 and 1955 Gibson LPC. My Tokai collection had consisted of TLS80, TLS200, M2002, TST60, TST80 and TEX70.
regards
Peter

Back