"What did I just buy?/Is it fake?"

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paladin2019

Reaction score
I'm sure we've all noticed the recent spate of threads started by newbie posters asking us whether the guitar they've ALREADY PURCHASED is fake or not. This is a worrying trend for several reasons:

1. What happened to "buyer beware"? When did people get so foolish that they leap before they look?

2. Why are these people all coming out of the woodwork at the same time? What's changed recently in the market or in people's heads?

3. A lot of the guitars in these threads turn out to be fakes or misrepresented. Do we need a stickie in the forum pointing out that if something is too good to be true then it's not a good investment and you haven't found a bargain?

4. The forum is getting bogged down with these impulse-buyers and regular posters are getting a bit annoyed with them and each other over it. It's great to have the traffic but it's the same idiotic thing over and over again!

Am I completely out of line here? Am I making a big fuss over nothing or am I saying what everyone is secretly thinking? Thoughts appreciated.

Three of these kinds of thread on page 1 of the main forum at the moment.

There do seem to be quite a lot of fake or not threads, but, I do feel that Tokai can be a very confusing brand to learn, with such a long history and so many models and the models not always clearly marked. I think it's one of the hardest brands to learn, and I wish it was easier to understand.

I think people should have the good sense to ask before they buy.

As a relative newbie to the Tokai brand its always re-assuring to have one of those "wise heads" of the forum give a potential purchase the thumbs up or down.

Everyone has to start somewhere However, if people choose not to pass on their knowledge I think that's a bit mean but its entirely up to them.

Pal,
It was more easy when this forum was like a family and we all knew each other. We did a colective effort getting info about Tokai, and that was fantastic,those were times! I only have to thank Peter Mac, Javelin70, Supernout, Loverocker, Lee, you and more people Idon?t remember at this time.Great feedback between we all,still alive....

Tokai has got back public world wide acknowledge and that?s the price to pay, more mass and less atention to individual. I really love this and it was a intention of mine when I start on this Tokai thing. I love to help Tokai as much as I know and can,you can be sure they can count with my sincere assistance in any.

Regarding faking I?ve reported all I?ve found but it?s really tired reading the same over and over...

I think part of the reason so many are asking it simple. People have cottoned onto Tokai being excellent guitars in their won right. It has t reached the point where enough people say so that, it is now one of the first ports of call for people seeking a Leslie Paulinus style guitar.

Furthermore is not a lucky dip when you buy a Tokai. I am jiggered if i am paying 1500 quid to take the risk the guitar i just bought might have to have the neck realigned, or the finish might fall off a year later.

When people talk about Mojo they often mean that bit of magick that takes it from good to excellent. But there's another kind of Mojo. The Mojo of a solid dependable workhorse that doesn't let you down. What Tokai do, that other companies seem to fail to understand is simple. Their basic models are still made with a care and craft that belies their price.

Paladin2019, I get it, you're smarter and more elite with Tokai than me, now get over yourself.

Yes, you're right because there isn't enough information on this subject readily available to the public, so it is a topic that should be stickied. However, the language that was used is really arrogant and rude towards us "newbie posters." I agree that help is needed and is being addressed, but the comments in the first post are unnecessary. That's why I said Paladin should get off his high horse and address us as guitar-playing humans instead of complete idiots.

i wont say much words...

http://www.musoland.com.cn/list.asp?ProdId=0815
do you like it ? costs 190 Euro without case.
i can show you like a thousand of these.

i am actually thankfull to you guys that you helped me choose a correct guitar and buy one. but... what is wrong paladin?

Fitz, i think you have misread what Paladin is trying to say, and he is absolutely correct. If you are going to buy a car and you know nothing about it you get someone who know's cars to check it out before you go wasting your money on a dud, i see no reason why it shouldn't be the same for guitars, some of these guitars are worth as much as a small car and it would be just as big a disappointment to buy a dud guitar. Check them out first and avoid all the drama.......nothing arrogant about that.....

Mick

Ok, ok, perhaps Fitz is right... I was a bit miffed when I wrote the original post and my language may have been unnecessarily harsh, even condescending.

First, let me clarify: there is NOTHING wrong with newbies asking more experienced people for advice or opinions, and there never has been. Even if the question seems trivial or even silly, sharing knowledge is what we're all here for and we all know that you have to start somewhere.

My problem is with the people who shoot first and ask questions later, of whom there seem to be an awful lot lately. Why aren't they seeking advice before they throw away their money on something that may or may not be fake?

leadguitar_323 said:
Fitz, i think you have misread what Paladin is trying to say, and he is absolutely correct. If you are going to buy a car and you know nothing about it you get someone who know's cars to check it out before you go wasting your money on a dud, i see no reason why it shouldn't be the same for guitars, some of these guitars are worth as much as a small car and it would be just as big a disappointment to buy a dud guitar. Check them out first and avoid all the drama.......nothing arrogant about that.....

Mick

Right, if you're buying a used car, you definitely need to get answers before you buy it. But if you're buying a new car from a lot, it doesn't have a huge history you aren't aware of and it only has a couple clicks on it in the first place. I bought my guitar new, which plays great, from a guitar shop which has a good reputation in my city, so I felt comfortable buying it.

Then I found out it was a fake Canadian Tokai from this forum, and I'm grateful for the information about it, because I really didn't know. Anyways, it plays great and sounds good too, so I don't have a problem with it.

Paladin2019 said:
Why aren't they seeking advice before they throw away their money on something that may or may not be fake?

My guess is the amount of money involved being on the low side, maybe only a few hundred quid as the price tag, you see "Tokai" on the headstock and think "Billy Gibbons???" and take a punt. Only to find out later what you bought was not such a great deal as it seemed.

Back