Love Rock Relic question

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Expressway

Reaction score
I've got a 2004 Relic and I was just wondering what pickups were installed on these. I was told they were Wilkinson designed customs but later relics appear to have Seymour Duncans of some kind.

Also, anybody have an idea of what it's worth? I know they retailed at 1200 but surely that was just a sale markup value. I got mine for 800 on ebay a few years back.

Expressway said:
I know they retailed at 1200 but surely that was just a sale markup value. I got mine for 800 on ebay a few years back.

US Dollars or British Pounds Sterling (you don't say where you live)? If USD, you got a steal.

marcusnieman said:
Expressway said:
I know they retailed at 1200 but surely that was just a sale markup value. I got mine for 800 on ebay a few years back.

US Dollars or British Pounds Sterling (you don't say where you live)? If USD, you got a steal.

If only it was dollars :wink:

It was pounds.

Expressway said:
marcusnieman said:
Expressway said:

It was pounds.

They were and are only ?749 new.

http://www.coda-music.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=21&products_id=3237

I was also under the impression that they are not based on an LS150 either ? but the mid end MIJ Tokai . LS65 ?

Donkey Oaty said:

http://www.coda-music.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=21&products_id=3237

I was also under the impression that they are not based on an LS150 either ? but the mid end MIJ Tokai . LS65 ?

That's odd, I thought they weren't making them any more. Maybe they've started up again; the ones I saw a couple of years ago had a different truss rod cover and a different finish. Those ones were in shops for ?1200 and were just sold as "love rock relic" with no LS designation.

The link says they were added to the catalogue in 2008, so maybe this is a new run with new TRC's, a new label and a new price tag.

They were based on the LS80F back in the day; veneer top, but the hardware pickups and finish were all unique to this model.

EDIT: It's hard to make out the headstock - can anyone say if it has trhe dimple?

Donkey Oaty said:
Expressway said:
marcusnieman said:
Expressway said:

It was pounds.

That's not the same as mine.

Mine is one of the limited run of LS75s that were sold for ?1200 retail price. The trussrod cover is a black single screw item.

Mine:

002-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

013.jpg

togps said:
:eek:
I'm sorry - probably a Canadian MIK fakai ..
(Nashville bridge, single screw TRC, etc ...)

No, it's real. These were UK exclusive models with a number of unique features including custom hardware. I saw couple of examples in UK shops selling for ?1200 and they had the single screw TRC and large post bridge.

The story was that unifinished, incomplete LS75's were ordered by the UK distributor and sent to specailists somewhere in Sheffield to be relic'ed and completed.

togps said:

Coda is a genuine dealer. They sell a lot of Tokais and are the only ones that have sold the Relic in the UK ( I think ).

The last batch they had were sold has LS150 Relics as well, but someone on here bought one and it was an LS75, not an LS150.

Very strange ?

I might give them a call and see what the story behind them is .

Paladin2019 said:
EDIT: It's hard to make out the headstock - can anyone say if it has trhe dimple?

It has the UK third Dimple

togps said:

No it's one of these:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-models.html#relic

You are wrong ..
different hardware
ABR Bridge - Nashville Bridge
2 screw TRC - one screw TRC
Headstock logo - no Headstock logo
etc....

Donkey Oaty said:
[Coda is a genuine dealer. They sell a lot of Tokais and are the only ones that have sold the Relic in the UK ( I think ).

I've seen them in Gamlin's in Cardiff too.

If it has the dimple as Donkey says then it sounds like they're making a new run again, and at a much lower price! Cool! 8)

togps said:
You are wrong ..
different hardware
ABR Bridge - Nashville Bridge
2 screw TRC - one screw TRC
Headstock logo - no Headstock logo
etc....

Togps, I've already explained... we KNOW that the TRC, bridge and headstock as well as the pickups, electronics etc are different to normal. That's the way these guitars were *made*. They are *unique*.

Trust me, they are genuine. I'm not surprised you don't know their history... as I've already said, they are only sold in the UK.

Do a forum search for the Relics, you will find a lot of information going back several years.

I'll chip in here

I've got one of the very first relics, a 2003 les paul reborn retrospec. These were a limited edition run ordered by Bob at tokai uk. I have email confirmation of this from him and from the pickup manufacturer Harry Haeussel. They are unpotted PAF clones, hand wound in germany and are very expensive.

Take a look at the this thread :-

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3604&highlight=retrospec

My guitar has no serial number, one piece mahogany back, one piece maple top with a sycamore veneer.

Aluminium stop tail piece and aged parts. Nitro paint

This is not a LS75, it's got far better spec than those and has tone in abundence.

I've also been pm'd by the original owner that bought it in Stoke UK and other Retrospec owners. This guitar is a player and keeper :D

Chris

does coda give a document that proves the number of the LS ? such as the one in Japanese ?

If you do a search for Relic, you'll find a lot of info that I posted when I was researching mine.

Chrisheyes has one of the original, much higher spec relics. Expressway has the same model I had with the single screw TRC and dimple headstock etc. They are based on the LS65/70/75 spec with a veneer flame top, two piece back etc.

The model I had came with Wilkinson WVC pickups: http://www.jhs.co.uk/wilkinson.html

I sold mine recently via a local shop, including a tweed hard case, for ?599.

Ok I got a reply back from Coda today and it appears to be an LS75.

Coda in general are pretty good at replying to emails . So it could be one left over from the last batch. Either way it's a nice Guitar and if you are into relics then even more so.

Quote " Hi

I thought this was a 150 model,it may well be an LS75.It was a one off that Tokai in the Uk had delivered.

It does not have a cellulose finish,so it may well be a 75?"

Eh ?

Something a bit weird is going on here ?

The original link I put up to a new Tokai LS150 relic for ?749 has now become a Used secondhand Relic for ?599 ????????

But the picture is still the same . Are you thinking what I am thinking :-?

I mean, how can you tell a new Relic from a used Relic ??????

Back