Newest Tokai ES-335alike

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

According to the UK dealers, these are about to arrive and I'm VERY interested in one (cherry dot, natch). But after all the Korea/Japan materials/construction thing, I'd like to know more. Especially as the dealer said £950 (around $1400), which to me seems very high - no case included!

I can see that Tokai has most recently done an ES-60 (60,000 Yen - around £350/$500), and I'm a-wondering what exactly has changed to merit an almost 3x price hike.

Does anyone know anything about these?

Cheers

Barry
(London)

PS: has anyone successfully ordered directly from Japan - I'm looking at Universe, to see if there's any ordering info. All leads gratefully received/etc.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Barry Plows']

Barry,

I believe there have been a couple of regular visitors to the site that have ordered from Guitar Universe. Look back through the older messages.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Ned']

Yup - I shall RTFMB straightaway :eek:)

Richard very kindly emailed me, so I shall follow up later this week.

Barry

I bought a left handed 335 copy about a month ago from Song Bird Music in Toronto. Can't really tell you much about it, paid about 650 us or somehting. Love the guitar well made, I'm guessing it's Korean. (doesn't say)

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Trick Fall']

Yeah, that should be the Korean one (the ES-60). The ES-100 (or 120 or 140 or whatever the hell the correct number is) is Japanese made and is expensive, even in Japan (around £800 = $1100). Still no sign in the UK yet as far as I can see.

Barry

Check out the review in the UK's "Guitarist" magazine, August 2001.

Puts a blonde ES-100 up against a Heritage H-535.

www.guitarist.co.uk

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Skybone']

ive just bought an es120 sunburst from wizard guitars in doncaster uk - anyone thinking of getting a gibson 335 should check these out. there arent too many dealers of tokais in the uk and i bet most are concentrating on the love rocks so be prepared to travel - however if you fancy saving about 700 quid on a new 335 isnt it worth it! you can check out my review of the guitar on harmony central but as an added bit of info regarding the august review in guitarist the tokai which went up against the heritage was supplied by the same shop i bought mine from and although the reviewer said the heritage edged it slightly guess what - wizard guitars told me he bought the tokai! i believe it was the editor who reviewed it and he owns a 1967 335 (i think) i myself used a 1964 335 for years and have always regretted selling it especially since our other guitarist has a nice 70s one so i do know a goodun from a duffer as im sure does neville marten. tokai should be promoting these guitars far more in my opinion as there cant be many guitarists who dont fancy a 335 but who object to paying getting on for 2 grand for one - the list price on the es100 models is 900 quid and a grand for the more spectacularly finished es120s - i paid 900 quid for a beautifully quilted es120 and am well satisfied - i think gibson would **** themselves if these were ever allowed into the usa but i cant see that happening! if anyone has any questions on the guitar i would be happy to reply.
steve

Steve,

How many quid in a pound? Today 900 pounds = 1303 US Dollars. There are some of these guitars available in Canada, try SongBird (shameless plug).

Ned

ned,
a quid is the common term for a pound here so i paid ?900.00. most shops here are now advertising new 335,s at between ?1600 - ?1800 so for uk 335 fans these tokais are belters.
steve

I bought a LOVE ROCK VF from Yoshi at Universe guitarshop.He was very kind,but I am waiting for a LP case broken by UPS he must send me as replacement.He told me he was preparing to send me one in September!No news about it although I send him several e-mails.I hope he didn,t forget about it.

Latest posts

Back