Details

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
Think I’m going to start this thread to focus on details of Tokais.

Hoping to post pics and have others post as well.

The cool thing I think about Tokai is their simplicity and attention to details. With Tokai the parts seemed to mainly be about functionality and purpose. Especially in the early years.

Anyway, hoping to post pics showing details of:

Wood
Neck tenons
Joints
Binding
Routs
Pickups
Controls
Tuners
Finish
Etc.

Please post your own pics if you got ‘em or add comments.

I'll start off with some detail shots of my 1979 ST100. Simple design. Mine has the nickel hardware instead of the gold wash.

WW1bgdA.jpg

go05arJ.jpg

45eCMnO.jpg

Double ring “Kluson Deluxe” tuners on my 1979 LS80GT. Not sure if these are original?

vZ7V3LJ.png

Single ring “Tokai” tuners on my 1981 LS100S.

vS9Ft5Z.jpg

Very nice.

Do you know which models had that plate? And is it brass?

Off center neck tenon on a 1983 LS80 Flametop

DKDA58K.jpg

1981 LS100S

mvnr9ZX.jpg

Seemingly centered neck tenon (?) on a 1982 LS120 Flametop

Tj4zgc5.jpg

Countersunk screw holes mdvineng pointed out in another post that are apparently for seating the neck.

This photo is from my 1979 ST100.

Also note brass shim. Not sure if original?

N98o767.jpg

Cool. I asked because I was trying to identify an ST55 recently. Thought I read that below ST50 they don’t have it, but I don’t know. Just was wondering.

It's so cool to see that plate without being covered in pots and wires.

Here's a pic of one loaded up on my 1981 ST80 for comparison.

ZUC3msW.jpg

And my 1979 ST100.

4f3wW68.jpg

Noticing I have two different pickup selector switches. Not seeing the spring on the ST80? I guess that’s the 3 position versus the 5 position? 50s and 60s style?

https://imgur.com/a/jJmW2sp

Tenon and internal markings on an LS200 from 2001. Never seen another like this. The lower piece is shaped as if to match the shape of a long-tenon 'lip'.

Paladin2019 said:
https://imgur.com/a/jJmW2sp

Tenon and internal markings on an LS200 from 2001. Never seen another like this. The lower piece is shaped as if to match the shape of a long-tenon 'lip'.

I think I can see that. Could you possibly shoot a picture with a flash?

Edit: I tried changing the settings on the picture to lighten the shadows. Hoping that helps illustrate what you are talking about. Definitely interesting.

K3GbpI8.jpg

Sigmania said:
Double ring “Kluson Deluxe” tuners on my 1979 LS80GT. Not sure if these are original?

vZ7V3LJ.png

Single ring “Tokai” tuners on my 1981 LS100S.

vS9Ft5Z.jpg
double is correct for the early ones

I have to add the fretboards on the ST70s from the early 80s.

The rosewood version had a slab construction.

This one is from an old eBay listing. A 1981 ST70R YS.

Io7aV5d.jpg

LgdMEf6.jpg

The maple had a maple veneer or laminate over a maple neck. Presumably to replace if it wore out? Or to avoid having a skunk stripe??

This picture from 2011 by member Koubayashi.

YcYuDbs.png

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18291&start=15

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10993

Another weird thing about the ST70s is that some seem to have a one piece body as Koubayashi states in the thread linked above. I had thought ST80 and above had one piece bodies, but I guess this is another exception to the rules we have come up with here? Generally it is thought that the ST70s had a 2 piece center seam body, but there are exceptions, and these guitars seem to be pretty scarce.

Another weird thing about the ST70s is that some seem to have a one piece body as Koubayashi states in the thread linked above. I had thought ST80 and above had one piece bodies, but I guess this is another exception to the rules we have come up with here? Generally it is thought that the ST70s had a 2 piece center seam body, but there are exceptions, and these guitars seem to be pretty scarce.

Latest posts

Back