Tokai - Made in China

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dino.

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering purchasing a Tokai Flying V that is on eBay however, because it's made in China, I have a lot of concerns about the quality.

I've tried doing some research on the internet and read that the dimensions were different from a Gibson. This person stated that the body was shorter, the pickgaurd was different than a Gibson, the pole pieces didn't match up with the strings, and it was basically a hot mess.

I understand it's not a Gibson.
I understand the differences in our (USA) system of measurement versus the metric system, but IMO, a Flying V copy or replica should be close.

I'm not overly concerned with electronics as all of that stuff will be the first to go when I begin upgrading, but I at least want a good solid platform to work with.

Here's the one in question ...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261215838145?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_257wt_679

I would really appreciate any information anyone can offer on the Tokai's made in China, and more specifically ... the Flying V.

Thanks so much! :)

WoW!
EIGHTY views and not a single comment.

No worries ... your lack of words speak volume.
I bought a new Gibson V earlier this morning. :wink:

You made a mistake. :D

I was going to comment but I wasn't sure what you were asking?

Did you expect a Chinese made Tokai "V" to be identical to a Gibson "V", or did you expect it to be identical to a Chinese made Epiphone "V"?

Diamond said:
You made a mistake. :D

I was going to comment but I wasn't sure what you were asking?

Did you expect a Chinese made Tokai "V" to be identical to a Gibson "V", or did you expect it to be identical to a Chinese made Epiphone "V"?

I honestly didn't know what to expect, hence the post.
The Chinese Tokai V's LOOK really nice but they seem to be getting bad reviews on the internet.

I didn't expect them to be "identical" but it would be nice if they would except aftermarket parts (pickguards, hardware, etc..) and nobody could really answer that question.

American Music Supply gave me a really good deal on a Gibson "scratch & dent" Flying V and they said in most cases, whatever blemishes that deem their guitars "scratch & dent" are often never even found by customers. We'll see ... :wink:

Recieved my Gibson Flying V a couple days ago and I'm now sure I made the right decision.
The guitar plays and sounds great, and is surprisingly comfortable!

I would still like info on the Tokai Chinese Flying V's but it doesn't look like anybody is going to respond to my thread so .... :roll:

I have no experience with Chinese Tokai's or Flying V's for that matter, any brand Flying V. But i will say to you Happy New V day !! Enjoy.!!

brokentoes said:
I have no experience with Chinese Tokai's or Flying V's for that matter, any brand Flying V. But i will say to you Happy New V day !! Enjoy.!!

Thanks brokentoes! :D

Back