Tokai 1985 V60 or Stinger Guitar - Identification Needed

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larklanekid

Reaction score
So there I was, just running some screens on eBay and up popped this insane offer on an alleged 1984 Flying V, w/ buy it now and free shipping to boot. I did and I have the V in my hands. However, it does not seem to be vintage as the plastic is all shiny and new. Suspecting something kinky, I plugged her in and WOW! These pickups run from clean to murder!
(':evil:'). The neck is like a baseball bat sawn in half, but the body is very light. I got so carried away, I broke a string. So then I came to this forum and tried to identify it. There is a V60 in the 1985 catalog that looks similar. The serial number on the neckplate is 200705. So I ask you, gentle readers, is this really a 1985?

I am sorry I don't have a camera available, so I must link in the listing;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140191231448 [/url]

Definitely mid 80's, the logo looks identical to my 1986 JSX70 Super Edition:

jsx70_head.jpg

It is probably the V60 model you found in the catalog:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai_85-86_electric_p12.jpg

If I'm correct (and I think I am) the last digit in the serial number is the year of manufacture. My serial ends with a 6 and I bought it new in July '86.

Mike

Hey larklanekid,

Yep, a 1985, for sure.......interesting pickups..... huge distortion I'll bet....awesome

The model if either V-55 or V-65 comes down to the color and the type tremelo unit used (AR-1 or AR-II), as described in catalog link below........

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai856.jpg

Mick

One things for sure, it's either an 85 or early 86, I am unable to determine really which, so........and the 86 model came out with an AR-III model as well......and there was a price hike in 1986 too.....

Could be either 1985 or 1986?

Mick

I am inclined to think 1985 based on the color, as there were only the 2 colors in 1986, and the one on the link is neither....

I would say the color in the link would be the ABBS (All Blue Black Sunburst)

Which make the guitar a V-55 with AR-I tremelo......

Mick

So I guess the guitar is the genuine article and the excellent condition is due to the discomfort of playing a Flying V! The pickups are indeed the outstanding feature of the guitar. I first plugged into the clean channel and was pleased with the great tone. I could play jazz and it sounds great on lush minor9th chords. When I slip into distortion mode, it rings true without any mudiness. The thickness of the neck is going to take some getting used to. And then there is the requirement to standup and strap on. Someone should invent a harness for these things.

Now to find a tremolo bar! Any ideas on that?

Again my thanks for your help. I shall renew my search for a MIJ Love Rock with vigor and good spirits. :wink: :wink:

Latest posts

Back