Questions about upgrading my Es-130

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Jones

Reaction score
I'm thinking about upgrading the electronics of my es-130.
Anybody knows if a switchcraft lp toggle switch will fit ? It seems very long

!BnwFhvwB2k~$(KGrHqUOKj0EtlhSw,9pBLkz9+FZ!g~~_12.JPG

Will I have to enlarge the holes a bit ?
And finally, has anyone noticed a definite improvement when changing the stock mk2 pickups ? They sound nice but I thought that gibson classic 57 might be better.

Yes, definitely do it. I had pickups upgraded to Manlius Fat Dianes (accquired from our very own JohnA) and pots, selector switch and jack upgraded to Switchcraft on my ES-130. Had the bridge and tailpiece upgraded to Tone Pros at the same time. Ian Hermann at Charlie Chandler's Guitar Experience (Hampton Wick, London) did all the work. Result was a much improved guitar sonically.

The switchcraft switch will fit.

I prefer the stock Japanese pots to CTS pots.

The MK2 pickups are as good as the Seymour Duncans we've put them up against...Pearly Gates, and 59s.
It's fun to mess around with pickups, but you might blow $200 because the MK2 are that good.

I'm glad Mole Man is happy with the upgrades, especially the pickups :wink: but I agree with Diamond, the standard pots are not as stiff as CTS pots and I think the feel nicer! There's no reason to change the switch as long as it works, it won't improve the sound of the guitar!

I also reallly like the MKII pickups and think you need to spend a lot of cash to better them with after market ones.

I'd say leave the guitar as it is and spend the money on something else :D

Well yes it's a pricey operation so I really want to make sure I will benefit from this. Problem is you never know if it's worth it or not unless you try, and trying this ain't free !

While we're at it, I need your help. My toggle switch is malfunctioning : the neck position is sometimes totally silent, and the sound comes back when I wiggle the switch back and forth. Is this something I can fix or should I buy another one ?

I've heared of a few people with issiues with Tokai toggle switches, if it's faulty just replace it, you might be able to bend the contacts so it works for a while, but it won't last forever.

The only thing I would ever change is the toggle switch, to a switchcraft.

Diamond said:
The switchcraft switch will fit.

I prefer the stock Japanese pots to CTS pots.

The MK2 pickups are as good as the Seymour Duncans we've put them up against...Pearly Gates, and 59s.
It's fun to mess around with pickups, but you might blow $200 because the MK2 are that good.

I love the MKII's in my '02 ES-120, but I didn't like them in my SG-155 and they were just ok (to my ears) in my LS-150

Jason

Back