Please tell me about Yamaki pickups (70's)?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brain21

Reaction score
So I've seen several videos on youtube where folks have put Yamaki pickups from 70's Yamaki Les Pauls in their Epiphone Flying Vs, and they are getting killer tone out of these.

I figured since I've got one of those Vs on the way I'd see if I could do the same. It seems that these are pretty much impossible to find, however. I guess most are still in their Les Paul hosts. :) And 90% of the Yamaki stuff I see on eBay and around the net is acoustic related.

So, I think Yamaki was made at one of the same factrories as the other Japanese LP clones, but I'm not sure which factory.

Does anyone know if the Yamaki pickups are the exact same pickup as say another (with a different name) made in the same factories? For example, could the Yamaki pickups be the same as the Ibanez Super 70s or the Greco Dry-Zs or something?

Anything "contemporary" sound similar? If not I'll probably put some BG Pups in there as they seem to be the closest-sounding to the real expensive Tom Holmes as you can get for 1/4 the price.

Thanks,

Brain21

Back