New to the forum, new Tokai owner

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madcat

Reaction score
Hi All,

What a great forum ! I found it a few weeks ago and it was very helpfull when I started to search informations about Tokai guitars.

Let's introduce myself, I've been playing for about 20 years and I can say that I'm a guitar lover. I like to play, but I also like the instrument, chasing tone, looking for new and vintage gear, etc ... I'm not a big collector, but since a few time, I try to have less guitar, but better quality instruments. That's why I jumped into the Tokai world, as the vintage (50's & 60's) fender strats are just out of my price range...

I would like to share my fresh experience regarding the Tokai guitar :)

First of all, I got a lot of informations on the forum and I was quickly decided to find a good Tokai ST-100. I found one in the Koiz guitar shop. I can say it was not cheap, but I decided to take the risk to buy it (even if the communication with Sat was not the best at the begining). I always wanted to have a nice 50's copy, well used, 1 piece ash body, but I did not wanted to buy a fender custom shop as I already own a Fender Gilmour strat.

And guess what ? This guitar is fantastic :) It has a Great vintage feeling, it is vibrating as no other of my other strats. I think Tokai used premium wood to build these guitars. The craftmanship is brilliant, no other words ! In term of acoustic, in my collection, only a Gibson Les Paul custom shop can compete with it. I have owned a fair number of strat in the past, but my ST-100 is now my best strat ever. Btw, I just sold my deluxe strat and I think to sell my SRV as well to find a good ST-80 to replace it.

I have one question for you all, I'm wondering how this "copy" compare to the original :)

Did someone had one time the chance to try a 54 or a 57 Fender original strat to compare with a high end Tokai ?

Thanks for your comments and greetings from Switzerland.
Best Regards
Chris

Let me know what you think about it :)

DSC00123.JPG

DSC00124.JPG

DSC00126.JPG

DSC00127.JPG

DSC00128.JPG

DSC00129.JPG

DSC00130.JPG

DSC00131.JPG

DSC00132.JPG

DSC00133.JPG

DSC00134.JPG

DSC00135.JPG

DSC00136.JPG

DSC00137.JPG

DSC00138.JPG

DSC00139.JPG

DSC00140.JPG

DSC00141.JPG

DSC00142.JPG

DSC00143.JPG

DSC00144.JPG

DSC00145.JPG

DSC00146.JPG

DSC00148.JPG

DSC00149.JPG

DSC00150.JPG

DSC00151.JPG

DSC00152.JPG

DSC00153.JPG

DSC00158.JPG

DSC00159.JPG

DSC00160.JPG

Fabulous guitar.Here`s something strange , your guitar is made of japanese Sen a wood that Fender never used and yet although considered a second rate tonewood by some ,to my ears anyway it sounds just as good or better than Ash or Alder ,go figure!Gabe.

Thank you for your comments.

You are right bluejeannot, Sen wood is not considered as the best wood. But I can tell you this piece of wood is so resonant that you can feel it through your body when you play it. I never had this feeling before with any Strat.

Cheers

bluejeannot said:
Fabulous guitar.Here`s something strange , your guitar is made of japanese Sen a wood that Fender never used and yet although considered a second rate tonewood by some ,to my ears anyway it sounds just as good or better than Ash or Alder ,go figure!Gabe.

All true. Gabe & I have done a few comparisons (using my guitars & his), & sen & ash both seem to be very similar, tonally. The sound is noticeably different to alder - not better or worse, but with an interesting character of it's own.

Congrats - looks like a great Strat.

Mike

Latest posts

Back