New Live Music Club for NW London

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mole Man

Reaction score
Hi Tokai Forum Folks!

A couple of friends of mine are opening a new live music venue:

Tropic at Ruislip is a new club with live music on Fridays in NW London. This is being run by the promoter George McFall (co-promoted gigs for many years at The Boom Boom Club, Sutton with Pete Feenstra amongst other venues).

Starting off initially with quality tribute bands, e.g.

20th Feb The Rollin Stoned

27th Feb THE SMALL FAKERS

6th March ABSOLUTE BOWIE

Although they do have some name classic rock bands booked:

13th March, Juicy Lucy

17th April, Del Bromham's STRAY

Check out their web site for full gig listings:

http://www.tropicatruislip.co.uk/

Save a couple of quid on the door by reserving a ticket in advance, it all helps!

I have known the promoters for years and can truly say that they have their heart(s) in the right place(s) (!!) and are going out on a limb to bring some quality live music to the NW London suburbs! Both bands and venue appreciate your support.

Best regards,
Darren/Mole Man

Mole Man said:
Starting off initially with quality tribute bands

Isn't "quality tribute band" a contradiction in terms? I'm happy listening to covers of various kinds, but why do these bands have to pretend to be the people they're copying? I don't get it man....

Anyway, rant over! Is that the same George who used to promote the gigs at the Torrington in North Finchley? The Torrington that is now an Indian restaurant. :evil:

Mike

stratman323 said:
Mole Man said:
Starting off initially with quality tribute bands

Isn't "quality tribute band" a contradiction in terms?

Is that the same George who used to promote the gigs at the Torrington in North Finchley? The Torrington that is now an Indian restaurant. :evil:

Mike

To take your questions in order:

No. Believe me there are best-of-class tributes out there (I've seen enough to know). However if the tributes are just not your bag then fine. It's important to remember that the popularity of tribute bands is an important factor in sustaining the gig circuit at this level as the man-on-the-Clapham-omnibus is often very conservative of shelling out a tenner to see a band that he's never heard of... GROAN!!

Yes. Go to the top of the class, young man! (BTW, The Torrington was a few years ago, we been through at least two replacement venues since then!! Get with the programe, Daddio!

In 2008 we had: Mick Taylor, Pat Travers, Jeff Scott Soto, Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash, Popa Chubby, Del Bromham's STRAY, Juicy Lucy, Buddy Whittington, Stackridge etc, etc. I'll PM you details.

I'll be sure to post the non-tribute (i.e. 'real' touring bands) gigs here.

Best regards,
Darren

The Torrington was a nice easy bus journey for me. Or a cheapish cab ride home after a long evening! I wondered what had happened to old George.

You're right about tribute bands I suppose, but no, they're not my bag. I saw the Paul Lamb band at Feenstra's latest place last year, but it was a bit of a letdown - Lamb has drafted his son in on "lead guitar", & it seems that nepotism was more of a factor in his appointment than talent, sadly. Not a patch on Johnny Whitehill, or the wonderful Mike Halls (last heard of in California), who used to play with Lamb at The Station Tavern on a Sunday lunchtime.

The Station is sadly missed too. :(

That venue would have been, The Real Music Club, (a pub called The New Bull & Butcher, Whetstone High Road, London, N20 fact fans)! Saw the vast majority of the gigs there whilst it lasted (unfortunately the constant churn of venue turnover - pubs changing hands, new management/landlords with their own ideas etc) means that we have experienced a certain amount of ch-ch-ch-changes! in recent years...

Check out promoter Pete Feenstra's web site for gig listings in and around London:

http://www.feenstra.co.uk/

Latest posts

Back