Need some advice on few Greco/Tokai Starts on ebay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK
Frets should have that littled curved shape after they have been maintained. Not flat!
Looking at the pictures they seem to have curvature left...

Yes, but I meant that the frets get "levelled" in relation to each other - it's often from frets 3 to 7 or something that gets worn but the higher up ones are still ok. Then you have the situation where the less worn frets start to affect the vibration of the strings when you play in the worn area. You can raise the action a bit and get some more time out of it, or get them all to the same level again.

Absolutely right though - the frets should be re-profiled while they are being got to the correct height, it's not a case of just flattening them all off.

stratman323 said:
JVsearch said:
although the frets have been levelled (good if done properly) so that possibly means that next time it's a re-fret (except if you're Mike who can cope with frets as thick as cigarette papers!).

And don't talk nonsense JV - frets need to be at least 3 cigarette papers high. :roll:

:lol:

You are good man - I don't know how you can play 'em like that!
Then again, I've never tried! :oops: Maybe it's not as bad as I think.

JVsearch said:
Yes, but I meant that the frets get "levelled" in relation to each other - it's often from frets 3 to 7 or something that gets worn but the higher up ones are still ok. Then you have the situation where the less worn frets start to affect the vibration of the strings when you play in the worn area. You can raise the action a bit and get some more time out of it, or get them all to the same level again. .

True

JVsearch said:
Absolutely right though - the frets should be re-profiled while they are being got to the correct height, it's not a case of just flattening them all off.

True again. I bought a Fernandes Strat once & the seller claimed that it had received a "professional fret stone". The tops of the frets were as flat as a snooker table. :roll: It played fine once I had paid my tech to profile them correctly. If people are not going to do a proper fret job, I would prefer them to leave everything well alone so I can get the frets sorted to my satisfaction.

Hi

Its my SE700 that is up for sale on ebay. The frets have not been levelled the problem with taking pictures from above is it makes the frets look flat.

The frets have next to no wear it was refretted about 18 months ago.

Cheers Andy

Sorry Andy, I wasn't referring to any of the guitars listed, just speaking generally about dodgy fret jobs.

Latest posts

Back