My excellent Signature STR1-HB!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skodster

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I thought that I would share some photo?s and information on my Signature STR1-HB.

I came across it in a little music shop in Northern Ireland. It wasn?t suitable for retail as it had a small lacquer crack at the heel of the neck and some parts missing. It was in a pretty sorry state, covered in dust and a bit of tarnish on the chrome bits. You could almost say that it had been relic?d! Anyway, I didn?t pay much and took it home and replaced the missing toggle switch and covers. After a deep clean and a polish up, it looked brand new.

In my guitar playing life, I have owned about thirty-five guitars including two US Strats, two US Telecasters, a Gibson SG Standard, A Gibson 355 Lucille and a Yamaha SG2000. None of them play and sounds like this guitar! It?s utterly amazing!

I have done a little research into this mysterious guitar and discovered that it is serial# 400200 and made in the Fuji-Gen factory in 2005. For those who may not know, it?s the same factory where the some of the Japanese Fenders, Gibson/Epiphone Elite and Gretsch guitars are made.

Tanglewood commissioned this particular series of guitars. After approximately a 1000 were made, Gibson slapped a ?Cease and Desist? notice on them and production was stopped. So it has been told, the Tanglwood boys were so impressed by the quality and playability of the guitars, they decided to re-brand to the name ?Signature?. This was presumably done to raise the perceived value and make more margin.

Anyway, the STR1-HB is fitted out with Gotoh hardware. It has a two piece back and top and it also has a long tenon set neck!

I have made a 'Test the cr*p' video just HERE

Signatureguitar003.jpg

Signatureguitar004.jpg

Anyway...enough excitement for one afternoon!

STOP PRESS!!!

I forgot to mention that I know of another brand new one here in Northern Ireland. The guy want's ?495 for it.

This is it...

Signatureguitar019.jpg

gotta love internet forums, we seem to get around all over them. :lol:

Those signatures are meant to be really nice. As I've said over at music radar, if i didn't already have an edwards LP, I'd probably be looking into that other one. :) EDIT: nice video too. :)

Hey Dave!

'bout ye!

Someone mentioned over on MusicRadar that the body shape is strange. I put my Les Paul on top of it and lo and behold...it has a fat arse!

It was probably Signature trying to avoid the law suit but the shape was still too close.

Great guitar though....

Congrats, those are sweet guitars!

I have the same model. :D

signaturelp_01.jpg

More detailed pics here, http://arkay.de/guitars/signature/index.html

I think Gibson had a tight grip on FujiGen since they built their Elitist LPs.

i didn't notice the bottom of it, but the cutaway looks to be a slightly different shape too. Doesn't matter if it's a nice guitar, of course, I'd rather have a nice guitar which wasn't an exact copy of the shape than a mediocre guitar which had the shape down... :D

Yeah, the overall shape is a little different, but it still feels and plays like like a LP copy should and that's what matters :D

Latest posts

Back