My Collection of Vintage Japanese Guitars!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigyh77

Reaction score
Hello!

I thought it was about time to show post some photos of my collection of vintage japanese made guitars.

From left to right is my Fender CIJ Fuji-gen made '52 re-issue with Texas Special pick-ups. Next is my Greco SA-800 from 1975. Then it's my '81 matsumoku made Epi Riviera (I never had the original scratch-plate, I'd love to buy one if anyones got one spare???!!!). Then it's my Sigma 52SDM-5s acoustic which was only made I believe from 79-81 which sounds great but unfortunately is a laminated top :(.

****! I forgot to picture my 1971 ultra beat-up dark brown Ibanez SG! I'll have to add later!
PB260952.jpg

PB260953.jpg

PB260955.jpg

PB260954.jpg

Psssttt...don't get Marcus started...we'll be here all day :roll:

Love those two semis. Which do you prefer?

Incidentally, if you can add any info on the link between Tokai and Sigma, feel free to post it over in the Tokai Acoustics thread.

Hey Bluethird, I reckon I prefer the Epi out of the semi's..... this week anyway!!

Both have good qualities, but the Riviera is so ridiculously smooth on the neck pick-up...throw it through my Plum Crazy fuzzy lady or even my crappy old russian big muff and it just sounds like the sweetest tone you've ever heard.

The Greco has unbelievable bite on the bridge pick-up and strangely sits somewhere between tele chiming twang and les paul grunt.

I'm unsure of any link between Sigma and Tokai acoustics, is there one??

Hey Bluethird, just worked out why I like the Epi best! I'm lazy and change my strings every 6 months!! Just changed the strings on the riviera as I have some studio time next week. Now even though I've owned the guitar for years, I'd never even checked what pickups where in it - I only knew I loved the sound but assumed they were stock. So while I had the strings off I checked the pups, only to turn them over and see a "Patent Applied For" decal! Giddy Up!!!!

What?

No LP? No strat?

Just kidding. Beautiful family.

Multi-ply MIJ acoustics give Martins a serious run for their money.

Latest posts

Back