Log or linear pots?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Help, I'm confused. :-?

Yesterday I sorted out the wiring on my LS60, & put in a phase switch using a 500K A (log) push/pull pot on the bridge pickup volume control, using one of these pots:

http://www.axesrus.com/axeknobs.htm#CTS

It seemed to be fine, so today I did the same thing on my LS85S (P90s). The trouble is that now, if I turn the bridge pickup volume control down from 10 to 9, I lose about half the volume.

Now, I know there is widespread disagreement about when you should use log & when you should use linear pots. If you do an internet search, you'll find some people recommend log for volume & linear for tone, & other people suggest it should be the other way round. Personally I decided to use log for all pots many years ago, but this is the first time I've had reason to question that decision.

But I'm using the same 500k A (log) pots on both guitars, so why should the rapid volume drop be more of a problem on the P90 fitted guitar than on the humbucker fitted guitar. This doesn't make sense to me - help!

What sort of pots do Tokai use as standard on the MIJ Love Rocks - log or linear?

Mike

Mike,

I don't know what the problem is but you can measure them to see if they are log or linear. That's if you've if youve got old ones. I found this in an article on pots.

"If you have an unknown pot, you can figure out what taper it is. You measure the resistance across the outer terminals (which gives you the total resistance), then turn the pot to half its rotation and measure the resistance from one of the outer terminals to the wiper. If the resistance is 50% of the total resistance, then the pot is linear. If you measure only 10% to 20% of the total resistance and 80%-90% to the other outer lug, the pot is an audio taper."

If you can't measure yours I'm sure someone will know the answer.

Dave

Back