Kurosawa Models

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Relax, man! :)

https://www.tokaiforum.com/threads/...ist-jacaranda-as-brazilian.24639/#post-186808
That links to a single post, stating that Jacaranda means BR in Japan. I have no idea if that's true, but it might be. They might be using these synonyms to emphasize what kind of wood that is. Not sure how common the latin genus+species names are in Japan, they would've been much more meaningful to us, but that guitar is meant for the domestic market, not us.

Whether or not that is really Dalbergia nigra or "new Jacaranda" or if they even really know what it really is might be a whole different story. ;)
thank you for linking that thread that I started.
Lots of curious to interesting reading in there ...............

Well I didn't really read through that thread until now. Looks like you found the same document I did just recently (Wood identification of Dalbergia nigra (CITES Appendix I) using quantitative wood anatomy, principal components analysis and naïve Bayes classification) - I referred to in yesterday's post in your other thread.

So since nobody can rely on visual identification, we have to take their word(s) for it, which seemingly try hard to say Dalbergia nigra without saying "Dalbergia nigra". :D The easiest (well, not really) thing to do would be asking them if they mean D.nigra by that, and if they give you a CITES certificate if you buy one of those guitars.

What I tried to find out is how much CITES restrictions are enforced in Japan, in other words if they even need to hand out a CITES certificate for their guitars, and I failed for the most part. Japan has not "ratified" the CITES treaty, but "accepted" it and I couldn't find out what that means. There is an official import/export policy that doesn't seem to be different from other countries and in the "World Wildlife Crime Report" I learned that Japan has seized stuff, so apparently they do enforce CITES restrictions. The more I look into this stuff, the more confused I am.

However, in the past days I also learned that the CITES restrictions do not really prevent trading of D. nigra (not terribly surprising), and that occasional seizures seem to show more than anything else how much the trading goes on. In the other thread I linked to a site that says...
"As the world’s most trafficked wildlife product, rosewoods' value in trade is higher than elephant ivory, rhino horn and tiger parts combined."

I skimmed over the linked report and couldn't find that information though. Sounds reasonable though, who would want to play a guitar made out of tiger parts. :D

Tokai KLS225F HDC 東海 エレキギター レスポー... - Yahoo!オークション

Tokai KLS225F HDC.

I am selling it to organize my equipment.
I hear it's a shop order item.
1 piece mahogany back, 1 piece mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard.
The top is made of 3A maple instead of laminate.
Pickup is Tokai PAF Vintage MK2
The pegs have been replaced with Gotoh lock type ones.
I am replacing the truss rod cover with a Gibson type.
Weight approximately 4.0kg.

i-img884x1198-1705029931g2wttg7.jpg
i-img800x1196-1705029931lq8tah7.jpg
i-img900x1200-1705029931hjtxbc7.jpg
i-img900x1200-1705029931q5qxjc7.jpg
i-img1200x676-17050299313jewoq7.jpg
i-img504x1200-1705029931jwlbol7.jpg

Attachments

• i-img900x1200-1705029931eodyvi7.jpg
    i-img900x1200-1705029931eodyvi7.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: