Identification of Early series GRECO EG 800 Model?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickczee

Reaction score
I am writing this topic to see if you can help me to can help me to delve further into the history of this particular guitar or know of any contacts in Japan that might be able to shed some light on this model. There is some providence with it which is very compelling as it point towards ownership by Paul Kossoff at one time. The letter accompanying the guitar reads as follows:

from letter written on the 8th January 1998.

?.....The ?GRECO? was given to me by TETSU YAMAUCHI whilst he was playing with Rod Stewart and the Faces.

TETSU and I had been in the band ?SAMURAI? together for almost 2 years touring Europe and Japan. After the band split, TETSU went on to play with ?FREE? who also toured Japan. It was during this time that I believe the ?GRECO? was given to PAUL KOSSOFF the lead guitarist with ?FREE?.

TETSU was given a bass guitar by ?GRECO? for advertising purposes, I had a photo of him posing with it.

As far as I can recall the conversation from 24 years ago was that PAUL gave the guitar to TETSU in lieu of money owed. I am only assuming this as I don't like to speak ill of the dead.

TETSU gave the guitar to me for teaching him to play rock and roll.

JOE DUNNET.............

It would appear that the missing evidence could possibly be a photo of Paul Kossoff receiving the guitar from a GRECO representative during the Japan tour in the early 70s. Does anyone have an idea of the existence of PR photos geld by the Japanese company???

Notable features are as follows:

* the "Gneco" headsock name which appears to place the manufacture of the guitar between 1970 and 1973.
* the body appears to be a 2 ply book-matched figured maple construction
* the neck is fixed to the body using the earlier dowel and tenon method of attachment.
* the neck is also probable constructed from maple and has an ebony fingerboard with a 10" radius
* the pick guard has been removed, tuners and strap pins have been replaced.

I have uploaded some photos of the guitar which will hopefully confirm some aspects of the design/year of manufacture, etc. Please click on the link below to gain access to these pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/RickCzee/1973Greco?authkey=Gv1sRgCNKfprDNydG77AE#

On behalf of the current owner, I very much look forward to receiving your comments and help in this matter.

RickCzee

Latest posts

Back