Tokai partscaster Strat, TST-56

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleš Foff

Reaction score
Hello - what do You thing about this black nitro Tokai partcaster Strat? Which Year it is? Neck is 85 (I know it) but what about the body? Number on plate is: 222961 and Nitro lacquere really looks like original. Also it looks like Swamp Ash body, definitely not like Sen wood. EDIT: It's probably: Maple neck 1981- 83 (TST-56, US export), Ash body 1981- 83 (TST-56, US export) and hardware (plate, bridge, switch etc.) is early 1987 (AST-56). re-fretted with jumbo frets, and Nitro lacq. refin from 90s. https://photos.app.goo.gl/gCjBZ6hwQXYYSKLc9

Last edited:
Welcome.

I only see one picture and it doesn’t tell us much.

Need pictures showing the headstock and under the pickguard and butt of the neck.

That serial number is 1987/88

Not sure how you could know the neck is from 1985? Care to share how you know that?

Or how you know the body is nitro?

I see the checking in the finish. A nitro Tokai body should have an "A" stamp.

Does not look like a typical Tokai body from the pictures.

They would not finish a 2 or 3 piece body in nitro for example and the color looks off in the photo for a Tokai black finish.

IMG_4033.jpeg

Last edited:
It's a 85' neck becouse of headstock unique shape. In bridge sedles is writen: "FINAL PROSPEC" - if it says something..? My guess is that it's probably some old refinish, it's acetone soluble. The body is definitely Tokay, but what year? Probably so 1987/88. it's a thin layer of black lacquer, it's really black, only like this in very bright sun it turns transparent to purple haha.

Attachments

• IMG_7746.jpeg
    IMG_7746.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 0
  • tempImagebFnRvi.png
    tempImagebFnRvi.png
    976.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8016.jpg
    IMG_8016.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8020.jpg
    IMG_8020.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8022.jpg
    IMG_8022.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8021.jpg
    IMG_8021.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Lollar Tweed (2011) loaded, soft V neck from the late 1950s. I compared it to many 56 and 57 Custom Shops. It's definitely a Strat killer. I have had it for 8 years and I will never give it up.

Last edited:
Well, I would caution you about making assumptions with Tokais. Most of the info out there is wrong.

That neck is a TST-56 neck with the export logo. It dates to late 1982-1984.

TST-56 Gallery

Unusual to see the flame in that neck. Nice one.

The TST-56 model was replaced by the AST-56 by 1985

AST-56 Gallery.

And you are saying the body is definitely Tokai, but I don't see any evidence of that in the pics you posted. Would need pics showing the neck pocket and pickup cavities to know.

Yes, 6 digits.. unfortunately the witnesses are dead, but the last info was: "I had this beautiful brindle neck and I was looking for a suitable body for a long time" - the guitar belonged to a bluesman who played it every day in a bar in Prague for 20 years, unfortunately I don't know who it was , I will try to start a search in the message here in Prague if anyone recognizes her. And a friend bought it from him, who after a few years sold it to me when he was raising money for an older Les Paul - he had already passed away. There are frets that have been changed at least once. As I Wrote, there are "Original Prospec" sedles - maybe it says something..

Well, I would caution you about making assumptions with Tokais. Most of the info out there is wrong.

That neck is a TST-56 neck with the export logo. It dates to late 1982-1984.

TST-56 Gallery

Unusual to see the flame in that neck. Nice one.

The TST-56 model was replaced by the AST-56 by 1985

AST-56 Gallery.

And you are saying the body is definitely Tokai, but I don't see any evidence of that in the pics you posted. Would need pics showing the neck pocket and pickup cavities to know.
Tnx - I'll look at the body - at the foot and at the crevices of the pickups when I change the strings, but I don't think there's anything written there.

OK. If it is a Tokai it will have a code stamped in black ink. Also some tell tale signs in the routs and holes bored.

The body is very unusual for a Tokai besides just the color and finish.

It looks like ash or something (not alder) and is 2 or 3 piece.

You can clearly see a seam in this picture that also shows the wood grain a little.

53413-ebce62972f0e1a3d2e069937205eed02.jpg

Last edited:
For reference, here is an SD70 Custom Edition in see thru blue about 600 units away from your serial number.

When you take off the pickguard you should learn a lot. Just take lots of pictures in the cavities, etc. Use a flash on some pictures in case the code is under the stain.

Latest posts

Back