Hello all! - My first Tokai and LP *pic heavy*

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L60N

Reaction score
Yesterday I travelled a fair distance to go see some Tokai's.

There was a very a nice selection in; all of which I looked at closely. :D

There was a lovely ebony model with Japanese P90's which looked awesome. Also a lovely creamy custom with some posh inlays on the headstock. There was also a matte finished model with a violin top which looked sweet, I just wished it wasnt matte.

One particular axe caught my eye when I initially walked in and I just kept coming back to the stare at the top on it. :shock:

It came down to a two horse race but I was sold on a Quilted maple top, the tone was (to my) ears just a bit beefier and it felt noticably weightier which I liked. Whilst I was paying we were talking about this. He told me that the violin had a sycamore cap with maple veneer, wheras the one i'd chosen was 100% maple cap. Im not sure what "if any" difference there would be tonewise. I guess every guitar is a different animal in various ways.

Anyway, I finally got it home I stuck it on the scales and is tipping at 4.7kg's, 10.36lb and here are the pics. Im sorry for the quality, my home lighting is pretty dim and it is now pitch dark. I know everybody says it but the pictures really dont do it justice!

I am now pleased to introduce my LS100Q Lemon Drop :)

P1020299.jpg

P1020300.jpg

P1020301.jpg

P1020302.jpg

P1020306.jpg

P1020307.jpg

P1020308.jpg

P1020310.jpg

P1020313.jpg

P1020314.jpg

P1020318.jpg

P1020321.jpg

P1020329.jpg

P1020332.jpg

P1020334.jpg

P1020336.jpg

P1020337.jpg

P1020338.jpg

P1020340.jpg

P1020342.jpg

P1020347.jpg

P1020350.jpg

Thanks for looking and I welcome any comments. :)

Beautiful guitar, all the best.

Just a few corrections...read your post.
It's not a Sycamore cap on a Maple veneer, it's a Sycamore veneer on a maple cap.

I think the salesman was a tad confused, I'm betting your guitar is just like all 100Qs, which is a Sycamore Quilt veneer on top of a full maple cap.

Either way, it's an awesome guitar.

Diamond said:

It's not a Sycamore cap on a Maple veneer, it's a Sycamore veneer on a maple cap.

I think the salesman was a tad confused, I'm betting your guitar is just like all 100Qs, which is a Sycamore Quilt veneer on top of a full maple cap.

Yes sorry, he said that the Matte Violin LS95F was a maple cap with a sycamore veneer, and that my LS100Q was all maple.

I dunno, I love it soo much though!

I just need to put my tone pros saddle, stop bar and top wrap it then I'll be very happy :D

Im really glad they didnt fit the pickguard, i mean why would you want to hide such a great looking top?!?

Do you know whether these ship with 10's on?

Kind regards

Sounds like you are confused now... :wink: Its a maple quilt veneer on a maple top, the quilt tops are maple on those models, actually i have never seen quilted sycamore at all, only the veneer flame tops on those models are sycamore.

Mick

So how is the LS90Q different than the LS100Q? I thought it was the year but have seen a few peeps here with new 90Q's

Axchisler said:
So how is the LS90Q different than the LS100Q? I thought it was the year but have seen a few peeps here with new 90Q's

In my opinion nothing. If I have understood correctly there has been onlly one modelnumber for Tokai's with quilted top for certain time period.

Matti

L60N said:
Diamond said:

Yes sorry, he said that the Matte Violin LS95F was a maple cap with a sycamore veneer, and that my LS100Q was all maple.

I dunno, I love it soo much though!

I just need to put my tone pros saddle, stop bar and top wrap it then I'll be very happy :D

Im really glad they didnt fit the pickguard, i mean why would you want to hide such a great looking top?!?

Do you know whether these ship with 10's on?

Kind regards

Usually all the Japanese Tokais are shipped strung with 0.10 strings.

Here you can find the spec of LS100Q: http://www.tokaiguitar.de/produktdetail.php?id=25

Materials from top to bottom: "Quilted Maple+Maple Top, Mahogany Back"

Matti

Many thanks Mattim,

I'll be buying some strings today to try out top wrapping as the bridge sits pretty high.

Im not sure whether i'll like it top wrapped but looking forward to weighing up which way I prefer. :)

leadguitar_323 said:

Sounds like you are confused now... :wink: Its a maple quilt veneer on a maple top, the quilt tops are maple on those models, actually i have never seen quilted sycamore at all, only the veneer flame tops on those models are sycamore.

Mick

lol, sorry, that's what I meant to say...my brains tired from listening to Music Store bullsh*t all day long. :)
Sycamore veneers on the flame 95F models, maple quilt veneer on the 100Q models.

I don't use the word veneer any more, it's just solid mahogany body and maple cap...that's it.

And what about my new axe??!!!

Hehe just messing :lol:

What do you guys think to the quilt? I love the pattern that lies along the pups adn out to the edge :D

Very cool quilt bro, and love the color. Here's mine for a comparison:

Tokai1.jpg

and with the Koa top,

100_0248.jpg

Instead of the wraparound string method, you may want to check out this thread about the Faberkit. I put them on my two Tokais and they are really great. You can even get an aluminum tailpiece with the kit. I haven't noticed too much difference in tone, but it does make your guitar a couple ounces lighter :wink: .

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14621&highlight=faber

Beautiful Guitars! I love the one on the left :)

These really are a faultess guitar for the money!

Regarding the faber kit. I was actually looking into getting a polished nickel set, bridge with brass saddles and tailpiece. When I looked on the price list I couldnt find which ones I needed, there is a lot of different tailpieces on there!

In the meantime I managed to sort my bridge:

The break angle is sorted and playing great!
Old:
P1020365.jpg

New: (Bridge height not moved)
P1020384.jpg

P1020390.jpg

P1020393.jpg

Back