GRECO SUPER REAL SA-1200 and SA-900 (pics). HELP!!!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOGA64

Reaction score
GRECO SUPER REAL SA-1200 and SA-900,
both from 1980, what are the differences besides the pickups?

Just got an SA-900, so I'd love to know............ :roll:
I'll be able to compare since I also own an 1200, but before it gets here, maybe some SUPER REAL super expert :D can help us solve this mistery.

The fretboards seem to be made of a different kind of rosewood, different knobs, different pickups, pickguards, not much else that I can see;
from what I can make out, one should be a copy of a 1959, and the other one of a 1961 335, but I don't read Japanese, so........ :roll:

A few pics:

Senzatitolo1.jpg

Br79PQB2kKGrHqUH-DcEvGqe-16BL1zryjM.jpg

Br792RwB2kKGrHqEH-CUEu43COgQRBL1z4q.jpg

Different shape of burst finish.

Are the wood grades different? Different finish material?

In the catalog, not in reality.

Also, IN THE CATALOG, single ring and double ring Kluson like tuners, and different position of the crown inlay on the headstock, but again, not in reality.

All of these details are axactly the same on the instruents I own.

That's why I'm asking, I don't know....... :roll:

Beautiful guitar there. The SA1200 says Indian rosewood whereas the 900 says rosewood. Ebony for the SG.
Cheers,

Wulfman

Wow thanks!!! :D

Would you care to translate, if you could, what it says for the SA-1200 and the SA-900 in the catalog?

Sure thing, it is a bit hard to make out in spots but this is what I got:

Above the SA900S: Super Real 900 '61 type in sunburst and cherry red colour. Pickup hole is of course the'61 type. Body top and back are the same special construction as the SA1200.

Above the 1200S: Powerful Super Real, faithfully recreating the pickup mount style with newly developed DRY pickups installed. Has ultimate vibe of sunburst and old natural colour.

None, it is not a Super Real,
but later model from the headstock logo and crown inlay.

I have a Super Real SA-900, I was told these are the differences between the two:

SA-900 is based on a 1960 or 1961 ES-335, reflector type knobs, Indian Rosewood Fretboard, PU-2 pickups, thinner neck.

SA-1200 is based on a 1959 ES-335, witch hat knobs, Brazillian Rosewood fretboard, Dry-Z pickups, thicker neck.

AFAIK they are the same aside from those differences. I would really like o hear your comparison of the pickups b/c I think the PU-2's are some of the best PAF type pickups I've ever heard but I've never played Dry-Z's.

Sure thing,
I'll do a shootout :eek: as soon as it is in my hands, hopefully tomorrow..... :wink:

I have a 1980 EGF-850 with PU-2 pickups, and I agree with you,
after the DRYZ, they are my favorite pickups in vintage Greco guitars, or in anything else for that matter.

From my own experience, here is my top five for humbucking PAF like pickups, vintage and new:

1) DRY Z
2) PRS David Grissom Pickups (scary close to the DRYZ, almost perfect)
3) IBANEZ SUPER 70s (I love them, as many other people do)
4) BURNY VH-1, first generation.
5) PU-2

The PU-2 seem to be a bit rounder, with less highs and lows, compared to the other 4 mentioned.

To generalize, a difference similar to Gibson PAFs versus later 60s T-tops.

ALL of them are very responsive to your picking dynamics, and that's part of what makes them so much fun to play, unlike, for example, BURNY VH-1 second generation pickups, which are quite a bit more compressed .

Keep in mind that the same set of pickups, will sound different in different guitars, and 2 sets of the same vintage pickups, can be quite different, i.e. the DRYZs in my blonde 1200 seem to be hotter than the ones in my sunburst 1200, of the same year.

More to come............... :wink:

mertzy said:
I have a Super Real SA-900, I was told these are the differences between the two:

SA-900 is based on a 1960 or 1961 ES-335, reflector type knobs, Indian Rosewood Fretboard, PU-2 pickups, thinner neck.

SA-1200 is based on a 1959 ES-335, witch hat knobs, Brazillian Rosewood fretboard, Dry-Z pickups, thicker neck.

AFAIK they are the same aside from those differences. I would really like o hear your comparison of the pickups b/c I think the PU-2's are some of the best PAF type pickups I've ever heard but I've never played Dry-Z's.

These are classic Gibson specs from the changes in 1960 - including the double ring tuner buttons which appeared half way (approx) through 1960 on the LP and others.

Witch hat knobs are generally the ones from the 70s, usually black plastic with numbers around the edge. I know you mean the yellow/gold looking bell shaped ones that are on most 50s originals/reissues/copies, but these are called something else. Can anyone remember what they're called?

Actually these guys seem to call them "top hat" or "bonnet" style knobs:
http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson5.html

No, actually I haven't moved anything out yet, :roll:

but I couldn't resist moving this one in anyway :D :D :D

JVSearch - You're absolutely right, I must've been thinking about my boss when I said "witch" hat knobs.

Yoga64 - I agree with you on the Super 70's, I have a matched set waiting for my next guitar build which will probably be a PRS Santana type guitar. I'll have to check out a PRS DG.

Latest posts

Back