Greco pickup identification help

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex_SF

Reaction score
Hi --

I recently acquired an '84 Greco LP Custom Randy Rhoads (RR-95K) model, which is missing the original pickups -- it has decent pickups in it now, but I'm aiming to either find a set of original DRY pickups to restore it to original spec, or throw in a nice set of Gibsons, Duncans, or something else.

My question involves how to identify Greco pickups (or what someone may represent to me as Greco pickups) and more specifically how to tell one model from another (specifically, SCREAMIN & DRY models, and DRY 1982 vs. DRY-Z)? I'm having trouble finding pictures of them on the 'Net for comparison purposes. I do recall seeing pictures of the undersides of some of them once (possibly in an eBay ad), but don't recall anything other than they might have had stickers on them with the model name.

If I run across some pickups that somebody is selling as Greco "Dry" or "Screamin" models but which don't have stickers on them, what should I look for? Anyone have any clues as to the following:

- Braided or plastic coating on the pickup lead wires?

- What color insulation on the pickup lead wires?

- What color metal on the underside?

- Any stamped or inked words / letters / numbers on the underside?

- Anything distinctive about the screws / polepieces on the underside? (Steel / brass bobbin screws, flat/philips head, etc.)

- Anything distinctive about the screws / polepieces on the top?

- Most of the ones I've seen are covered. However, if the covers have been removed:

- Are the bobbins black, white, or zebra?

- If the adjustable (screw) polepieces are gold, would the non-adjustable polepieces on the other bobbin also be gold or would they be chrome/silver colored?

Pointers to pictures of actual pickups out of the guitar for comparison purposes would be much appreciated, too.

Thanks!

OK, so I'm a n00b here and mistakenly posted this in the "Other" forum. I'm going to re-post it in the "Greco" forum; followups can go there. Apologies for the mistake and the clutter here.

Screamin's have a little white lable with 'Screamin' on them

DRY-Z's have a black ink 'Z' on the base

PU-2's (excellent pickups) have PU2 stamped in to the base

All the above have metal braided wire

Latest posts

Back