• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FS: 1984 Tokai TEX70 (Explorer)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishbonz

Reaction score
InCase1_zpsf88d7f03.jpg

These early Explorers are getting hard to find. Original 'natural' finish, came to me with non original pickups which I replaced with an original '80s neck PAF from my old Gibson Explorer and a BurstBucker Pro at the bridge, worked out very well. The original lightweight stop/tail and TRC are included. Super lightweight, surprisingly comfortable to play and definitely the most resonant guitar I own. It plays and sounds great, a few knocks and scrapes - the lacquer has cracked around the neck joint but it is totally sound. If you've never tried an Explorer, you're missing out - now one of my firm favourites, have gigged it several times, I am what might be described as a mature in years blues player (these were used by a few old time blues players, they're not just for metal fans). Comes with a nearly new top quality 'Epiphone' explorer hard shell case (perfect fit).
Serial No. 4022420
Weight 3.1kg
I am lucky enough to have two of these, I'm keeping the one thats 100% stock with its original case, unless you have a much bigger budget.
I'm valuing this at ?475 with the case + used value of the p/ups, or you can put your own pickups in? + UK shipping at cost.
Further pix at: http://s936.photobucket.com/user/badknees2/library/Tokai%20TEX70%201984
PM for further info.

Finally getting this thing together. I've had this for a month now and I just yesterday installed some Duncan 'Antiquities'.

What a fantastic guitar this is!! I have to say thanks again Glen - great to deal with you.

I took this quick shot this earlier today:

qpu5.jpg

I'll post some better photos next week. :D

??????????????????????...

Yes it was , Andy - spot-on in fact.

Having just put the Antiquities in I haven't played it through my main amp (Cornell 'Plexi' 18/20 head) much at all yet and the pickups need zeroing-in properly but so far it sounds very good. The neck pickup has a great woody kind of 'hollow' tone to it and having played and got to know the guitars loud, sweet, acoustic tone for a month it seems to amplify that exact sound. I've wired it so that the closest volume knob is for the treble pickup - that makes more sense to me for some reason.

Also the neck profile is perfect - same as my 1959 Les Paul Junior and it balances nicely standing or sitting. The build quality is typical vintage Tokai - flawless.

?.?and of course it plays and looks great!! I'm amazed by how accurate to the original '58's the colour is (I think they spec'd these from Rick Nielsen's 1958 Exp.)

Totally chuffed with it. Thank's again for the 'review'! ;-)

How's it going with the Reborn? :D

Back