• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For sale UK: 2010 Tokai LS135 Matte Cherry Sunburst ?750

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PonchoGreg

Reaction score
Hello all,

to face unforeseen cash flow problem, I might have to part with a very recently acquired Tokai LS135. Absolutely lovely guitar, but sometimes life gets in the way...:(

It is virtually identical to this one: http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/tokai_love_rock_ls135_matte_cherry_sunburst-1022350.asp

So, here we have a wonderfully crafted Made in Japan Les Paul. They are highly regarded, and rightfully so: flawless fit and finish, lovely LP sound and specs not found on guitars double the price. Low action without any buzz anywhere, plays like a dream! For the price of a Gibby LP Studio, you get way closer to Standard models, and given the specs some might even say a bit higher in range.

Tokai's model numbers are a bit hard to follow... I'm going by the UK distributor's denomination, but judging by the Japanese 2010 catalogue, it would be an LS160.

It is a 2010 model, bought new in December from a London shop, fell in love with the neck and tone as soon as I tried it. The matte finish is lovely on the neck as it provides a nice "worn-in" feel. It also gives the whole axe a nice, understated class coupled with the plain top.

Since it was bought so recently and never left the flat since, it is almost mint. The only thing I've done is swapping the pots around: originally Tokai used log pots for the volumes and linear for the tones. This resulted in a volume only usable between 8 and 10 and a tone not acting before reaching 2.... Now it's linear for volume and log for tone, much more progressive. Your mileage may vary, but it would be easy to swap back to the original config.

The specs are very impressive for a guitar this price: long neck tenon, single piece back, US pots and switch, aluminum tailpiece, brass saddles... The LS135 normally has a lacquer finish, but since this is an unusual matte option, I'm not sure about this precise one. The finish however appears to be very thin.

LS135 specs:

BODY: Maple Two Pieces Top, Mahogany One Piece Back
NECK: Mahogany One Piece, Set-Neck Deep Joint, Head Angle 18
FINGERBOARD: Rosewood
RADIUS: 300R
FRETS: 22F 213
SCALE: 625/312.5mm
BRIDGE: HLS-VBiBrass SaddlejBridge, HLS-VT Aluminum TailPiece
TUNERS: Gotoh SD90-SL
NUT (width): Bone(43.0mm)
INLAY: DishiAmber Cellj
PICKUPS: PAF-Vintage MK2~2(Made In Japan)
CONTROLSF2V.,2T, 3way Toggle SW
POT: CTS
SWITCH: Switchcraft
CONDENSER: Sprague Orange Drop
JACKS: Switchcraft
FINISH: Lacquer Finish

Here are a few pics, unfortunately taken with an iPhone. The shade of red is also quite hard to capture, I'll try and take nicer pics on request. The guitar will be sold in a generic black LP hardcase.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm looking at ?750 collected in South London, or hand delivered in London. I can also drive to deliver within reasonable distance of London at no extra cost. Could also post for a little extra.

Do not hesitate to get in touch for a chat about the guitar, more pics, a test drive if you're in London...

There you have it, amazing bang for the buck, over to you! :)

Back