Fender guy calling for Tokai experts on his Tokai CustomTele

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tele_Custom

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
as I need to raise funds really fast I'm considering selling my beloved Tokai Fender hybrid Custom Telecaster. I have no idea what the current street prizes are. I have let a luthier pro w. the right tooling cut the right neck pocket so the old Tokai body accepts a Fender Baja neck. It's a perfect marriage that plays and sounds a lot better than w. the whimpsy original neck that used to sit in this guitar.
The guitar is on the heavy side and probably gets the most possible twang out of its' alder body. Unlike seen on the photos the PU's are currently Seymour Duncan Broadcaster style PUs. Electronics changed to CTS pots and U.S. switch craft 3 pos. switch. Wiring is a modern 67 up wiring scheme. It has been professionally played without the pretentious aging craze. Honest Mojo and great action, playability. Sounds o0n the safe side w/o any shrill or mud. Just right with a tad of country friendly nasal tembre. I'd hate to let it go o0nce I decide to sell it.
It used to go w. a ZHB PU in the bridge pos. before I aquired this guitar and finally converted it back to a std. Tele scheme.
The pre owner told ,me that he has been playing it since decades. I strongly assume that it is an early 80ies Tele.
Any information on the year and street prize is highly appreciated.
http://www.motorhouse.org/other/geigengalerie_m_sax_m_guitars_3/page30/page46/page46.html

Hey,

The Neck plate (if it?s original) suggests it?s a Tokai from around 1982, besides that
I don?t see any detail pointing out that this is a Tokai Body.
Do you still have the original neck, or pictures of it ?

Since everything else is changed it?s hard to tell from the pictures.
Please open it up and make pictures of the pickup and electronics cavity. Tokai bodies usually have a production code inside.

Hard to say what it?s worth, looks like a good guitar but in the end you may get more out of it by selling the parts seperately. Or find someone who can play it before buying and really likes it...

And what the hell did you do to the bridge pickup cavity ? =D

Best Regards,
Len

Hi Len, most of your questions for instance about the cavity are already answered in my opening post. The original owner has cut the bridge plate and had installed a HB PU in the bridge po0sition. I'm the guy who bought it from him and who redesigned it to be a normal Tele.
What I did was selling the original Tokai neck in favor of the baja neck. I know for sure that this is an original Tokai body. I wasn't sure about the year and it's street prize.
Thought I posted it here first. This place is possibly the place where you find those who love all things Tokai or Tokai related. I'm standing by to take suggestions and possible offers

If you wanna take offers you can post it in the classifieds section then. More people will look there to buy..

yes, 1982 then, body from a TE-70,

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/volume539.jpg

Back