did tokai have budget (Korean models)in the 80's/lawsuit era

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Reaction score
well I would like to know wether tokai had cheaper/budget models during the early 80's (lawsuit era)... maybe some Korean models? because aparently there were some tokais for sale during 83-84 in portugal that people claim to have been very cheap (price and construction wise) guitars... Since I've heard only good things about tokais from this period, I'm wondering about the possibility of these beeing budget models...

thanks

bruno said:
well I would like to know wether tokai had cheaper/budget models during the early 80's (lawsuit era)... maybe some Korean models? because aparently there were some tokais for sale during 83-84 in portugal that people claim to have been very cheap (price and construction wise) guitars... Since I've heard only good things about tokais from this period, I'm wondering about the possibility of these beeing budget models...

thanks

I don't think so, there were some japanese budget models though. For example the strat models like AST/TST-40 and MAT M-451. The were approximately 10000 yen cheaper than the next model upwards. You recognize them if you look at the tuners (budget Gotoh, not Kluson type), the tremolo (cast in one piece with cast saddles) and the pickups (ceramic bar magnets and steel poles, not alnico). Except for this they are of the same quality as the next higher spec model. There were also budget super and custom editions with the same tuners etc.

I have two of these budget models, one AST-40 strat and one MAT M-451 and they are both excellent guitars. I've replaced the tuners on both, not the trems, they are really good. On the AST-40 I've replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncan hot stacks and a Little '59. On the MAT I've only replaced the bridge pickup, it's now a hotrail, the other two single coils are still the ceramic ones. I love both of these guitars and use them a lot.

I think the manufacturing in Korea started in the mid 90's.

Mike

Back