ANOTHER NEWBIE QUESTION ON SERIAL NUMBERS FOR REBORN MODEL

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubebury

Reaction score
Hi, I'm another FNG (newbie) to this forum and am astounded at all there is to know about the killer MIJ guitars out there. There are some very knowledgable folks here!

My question is in regards to a serial number for what's being described as a Tokai Reborn model, said to be circa 1980 with an SN# that starts with 000 then has a 9490 (or 0009490). I have read on the Tokai registry that the Reborns have the following as far as serial numbers go:

"Les Paul Reborn models: 1977 = 700xxxx, 1978=800xxxx, 1979=900xxxx "

If this is the case, is this serial number bogus or am I misinterpreting the Tokai numbering system? Are there some Reborns that have zeros starting their serial numbers?

It's a bit confusing to my brain! The chart right before the above quoted text from the Tokai registry also says this:

Date Tokai Model Serial # Decoding
Early 1977 Les Paul Model 1st digit = year
1977 - 1979 Les Paul Reborn 1st digit = year
1980 Reborn Old 1st digit = year

1980-88 Love Rocks 1st digit = year
1989+ Love Rocks 1st 2 digits = year

Can anyone here on the Tokai Forum clarify this?

Thanks,

FNG

In 1980, there have been Les Paul Reborns first, then Reborn Olds and by the end of the year the first Love Rocks. So a serial starting with 00 is a 1980 Tokai and this could be right for any of the names.

In 1980, there have been Les Paul Reborns first, then Reborn Olds and by the end of the year the first Love Rocks. So a serial starting with 00 is a 1980 Tokai and this could be right for any of the names.

Wolf,

I guess, this is definitely the only approvable answer - well done !! :lol:

Roger

Back