'82 Mint Collection Greco EGC68-80 Super Real Custom

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Udonitron

Reaction score
So this just arrived today and I must say that it destroys every other guitar in my small collection. It was made in August 82, right on the transitional month from the regular Super Reals to the beginning of the Mint Collection with the long tenon construction and amazing necks etc.

The previous owner was kind enough to replace the tail with a great Gibson TP-6, a Duncan SH1 (59 BJ - yes they stamped it BJ and not JB :laugh2:) in the neck modded with a Peter Green set up, a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge (early 80's model), and 4 push/push pots. The pots are tiny & work flawlessly but the wiring job, set up, intonation, etc is just absolutely perfect on this. Either he knows what he was doing or he had it professionally done but either way, I am floored. The tones and feel of this guitar is unlike any other I have played and the neck is beefy and almost fits to my hand perfectly. This pup combo screams and sustains for minutes on end without effort. He lightly sanded the neck to get rid of the gloss and it is very quick as a result but I need to use a wet high grit to clean up the fine scratches.

I have always wanted to score a violin finish custom but they always reach ridiculous amounts. Somehow I got this for a crazy deal and do not regret it! Anyone thinking on a Greco Mint Collection custom, do not hesitate...just amazing & the 82-88 or so Mint Collection Greco's are hands down their greatest models made IMO. Anyway, enjoy guys...always fun to talk guitars with everyone :D

Crappy pics for now until I can use my better camera under natural light

Waffleback Gotoh Tuners & Ebony board = :D

4328955963_69d827a951_b.jpg
4329692094_2fa3b3111e_b.jpg

4328958169_23db755a20_b.jpg

4329693540_7ee1465bc8_b.jpg

4328957241_138fca74f5_b.jpg

4328955287_18013138c6_b.jpg

4328958809_70c7001a2d_b.jpg

Well done and congrats!
That is a very beautiful guitar,I am not a custom fan as you know,but that i love the colour and patina,some old MOJO!

Its got more switching and wires than the" star ship enterprise" :lol:
Might give that pup combo a try for my epiphone japan that i am trying to get refinished,that neck looks a brute.

MOJO HOBO

Yeah the neck is so comfy man...I love it!!!

I really dig the violin finish on it and the custom's front and back binding as well :D The pup combo is killer and the wiring, well yeah it was done with precision and finesse but it looks like a old Italian virgin party LOL
:lol:

It is indeed! My Edwards arrived today so I have been playing that but man..this Greco is ridiculous and I am stoked to have bought it. Still thinking on that Greco we were talking about?

I will take much better pics this weekend...these really suck

HEY UDO, Is the finish nitro being a 800 model,I know that the mint collection eg models from the 850 were,How does it work with the customs and finishes ,Now if it is nitro,MAN, That must sound freakin amazing.... 8)

Those pictures suck ,jesus? you have a high standard, I thought they were pretty good .... :eek:

MOJO HOBO

Haha yeah the pics do suck...I suppose I am a photo snob a bit regarding my own pics...I am not a fan of flash photography mate. Everything looks blown out and grainy with flashes. I will take some nice once on Saturday.

Yeah it is a nitro finish 100%....has that smoky lovely smell to it :D My Edwards arrived yesterday and it too is nitro which is a bonus. Photos ops on both tomorrow and they will be taking it ALL off for you man :lol:

mojo hobo said:
I am not a custom fan as you know,but that i love the colour and patina,some old MOJO!
I feel exactly the same way. 8)
I don't like custom but this one is really gorgeous!
Congrats!

cool man! great looking guitar....I've got an 81 1000 in the exact same finish...I love them...Classiest finish around. They really do play amazingly well and sound phenomenal.

Took some new pics...much better than the flash based ones...man I hate flash photography lol. I am going to swap out the cream surrounds for the original black ones as well as the back cavity covers. Might get the original witch hat knobs to toss back on it as well.

4335185793_7a6c2c170e_b.jpg
4335915576_a265a74d2b_b.jpg

4335183061_f7e8b87447_b.jpg

4335923936_d9e1011b9f_b.jpg
4335159171_aab690fe3e_b.jpg

4335179473_515385d808_b.jpg

4335917612_66110ec9db_b.jpg

4335912630_6812acde68_b.jpg

4335167885_e503ee16de_b.jpg

4335909672_efb37269a2_b.jpg

4335906098_1ebddc904e_b.jpg

yeah those are much nicer pictures....flash tends to wash out the color on guitars.

I'm with you on the witch hat knobs...the ones you have look better on tobacco bursts...black witch hats are like the cherry on top of the sundae for violin bursts.

Really? Mmmm well I ordered some Gibby ones off the bay today. Wait n see how they look. I did buy these for it, which I think will look perfect on it. They were the originals on it prior to change out.

!BbRHV4gCGk~$(KGrHqIH-DQEqtV2Dy8dBKvOHM6TM!~~_12.JPG

Looks great. I bought 80 Super Power a while back with same finish. Previous owner did same thing, swapped all the black for creme and put on gold knobs. Also had Duncan pickups. Included in the purchase was all the original parts. It is back in its original configuration now.

Yeah I just ordered some black surrounds. Just hope they fit correctly...seems like some of these Japanese manufacturers liked to use slightly different sized surrounds etc. Same goes for pick guards due to the differing scale they used. What a pain in the arse :D

Back