59 RI LS420 ?!?!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trebletool

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180659441868&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:de

uh, never heard about that....
but looks great..

Seller failed already :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item2a0de99d02&item=180622040322&nma=true&pt=Guitar&rt=nc&si=OAS6dozD4Dype5w9MKZdoAzEf%252Fg%253D

If it helps to go even higher with the price...we will see :roll:

looked around the net - can?t find any other ones or confirmation that
this is really an org. Tokai....

We already had the same problem

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18015

As you can read here the guitar has been sold not long ago for 1/3 of the price and now the seller goes higher and higher.Some people here have a huge amount of knowledge and never heard before of this limited run :roll:

It does look like a very nice LP with probably a solid flame top, Holmes PAFs, nice detailing with aged looking binding and looks vintage correct.

As to what company made it, I don't know, but if it was Tokai then it's probably at today's LS-470/540 level if the top is solid.

i asked the seller - and that?s the answer:

Hello! There is no official info on this guitar, as its a shop exclusive. Tokai made and still will make any shop original guitars if dozen is ordered. There are many shop original/non catalog models made by Tokai. Tokai registry had this guitar listed as LS420, so thats probably the only info out there. There was a color full page ad in a major japanese magazine back in 97 with all 23 guitars lined up. I sold one years ago to a collector in San Jose Ca. USA, and another few months ago to a collector in Austria. This is my third one I have seen/come across in the past 10 years. Very rare guitar, especially in the condition. Thanks.

Holmes Pickups are normally signed and have the model number scratched on the back.Dunno if they all come like that though.

Edit : it has the signature but almost invisible.So this is clear.

HolmesZebra3.jpg

Can there really exist such a limited run and villager doesn't know it :wink:

yeah, here is a pic from my Holmes (in my LS-120 Les Paul Reborn)

you can read slightly the H453 and the signature.

So, either these from the seller are fakes (the print seems also not right to me) OR these are the japanese made TH-PU?s which exist - but i?ve never seen one on detail. These are IMO def. NO US-made org. Tom Holmes, see again the pic below (from the seller)

Tokai has released a model(have to check how they called) with Tom Holmes japanese made pickups....There are other ones with different "boutique" winders.

I'm not convinced that this guitar was made by Tokai. The PUs routing is not what Tokai usually makes, even on higher level or custom order guitars.

Very nice guitar, there was one that was listed at Guitar House here in Tokyo that sold fast at an incredibly low price IMO for what it was.

There are lots of custom-orders for shops and guitar shows floating around here that don't fit the standard models.

trebletool said:
yeah, here is a pic from my Holmes (in my LS-120 Les Paul Reborn)

you can read slightly the H453 and the signature.

So, either these from the seller are fakes (the print seems also not right to me) OR these are the japanese made TH-PU?s which exist - but i?ve never seen one on detail. These are IMO def. NO US-made org. Tom Holmes, see again the pic below (from the seller)

The thing for me that is not right is the difference between the covers - the pickups from the ebay guitar have covers that are made out of quite thick sheet metal,
but the covers on trebletool's Holmes are clearly made of thinner metal.

I don't know for sure, but these sort of things are the lesser details that are got wrong when somebody tries to copy something.

However the covers could have been added later and may not be original to the pickups.

a lot of makers built stuff for chain shops that were never listed in catalogs, not at all uncommon so I doubt theres anybody out there who knows everything about every Japanese brand.

Very true sneaky.
But like I said in the other thread; by just looking at the specs this is very unlikely a Tokai made guitar. That's a Dyna Gakki control cavity shape, there's oval tab routing instead of square. And the use of Fujicon caps is not is typical for Tokai.

Back