1982 Sliver Star - impact of alterations?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACS

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here - signed up because I'm looking at getting my first Tokai... :)

Looking at an 82 Silver Star - condition seems to be good, but it's not original in a couple of respects:

- pick guard is white vs. original black. Seller reckons he's got the original black guard, HOWEVER:
- all knobs, pickups and pu selector are white as well - and it doesn't appear that he has the originals of these...

So, given that he's asking AU$500 (around US$450) is this (in your opinion) still worth looking at? Or do these changes mean that any longer term value is shot and I'd be better off waiting?

Thanks guys
Aidan

OK, update = have just had an email in from the guy.

Seems he does have original black back plate, knobs, and pu covers. No original trem bar or selector switch though.

Close up pix show in good condition (neck etc) - wish I could play this first though...

s/n is 1103546. Worth pursuing? You can find some pix at http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x210/fenbink/tokai%20strat/ and I have a few more that he's sent through (closeups of headstock etc) if you'd like any more info...

I notice that it has a skunk stripe even though it's a rosewood fretboard - I read a bit about this, and that Tokai rectified this 'later on' - how much later on? Is this usual for an '82?

Cheers!

ACS said:
s/n is 1103546.
OK, that's not a misprint - which is confusing me... Everything I've read has said that the serial number should start '10' not '11', and that this would make it an 81 not an 82... What's up? fake?

I've got bunch of pix - nothing internal though - what would be useful in confirming the authenticity?

Thanks

dont worry about it for the price you will be getting a great guitar, the imact of changes is only price sensitive on the higher priced stuff, and even then its not a huge impact

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. Cheers for that link Volker - sets my mind at ease :)

Will be going ahead with buyibng this - will let you all know how it turns out!

Guitar is en-route 8)

I'll be putting the original pick guard back on (supplied) - but it appears that it's missign around half of the pick guard screws. What colour would the original screws on an '81 with a black pick guard have been? Black, or just plain nickel?

Thanks guys

Aidan

Back